Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for a new career... construction

teej89

NE PA
Hey guys, figured I'd throw something up here. Anywho... long story short I've been outta school for 3 years now and absolutely have no interest in my current job. I'm a structural engineer, building design, and I could give a rats arse about designing stuff anymore. A lot of my current projects are in construction and I'm on site a lot recently and it made me realize I really want to be in construction. Not subcontractor, a general contractor and either be a project engineer or project manager. I enjoy the being on your feet, working in a team, and just the people. Not the nerdy anti-social people you meet in an engineering office. This summer I put a picture of an elk as my computer background and they thought it was either a moose or some kind of a deer.... smh

Anyone on TOO work in this field? I'd interested in talking to you...

Also another thing is I'm eligible to sit for my PE exam next spring/fall. Should I wait to get this? I seriously hate structural engineering so I'm like why in the world would I want to devote hours a day on top of my miserable job to study for something that I'm not going to do anything with.

I'm a high energy kid (most likely ADHD) and sitting behind a desk all day not talking to anyone drives me absolutely insane.

Thanks guys!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
What the hell ... Dear Abby.....tie that lovely lady down and get the hell out of if ohio

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
What the hell ... Dear Abby.....tie that lovely lady down and get the hell out of if ohio

hahaha! I was waiting for you. I feel we have this convo every time I'm at your place. If she doesn't get into nursing next semester we're looking at denver next spring.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Billings my man... Billings... Too many crazy ass people in Colorado. Shootin the town up

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
One thing I've learned in this life, be prepared for what comes your way.... You're bored with the current position and you want something else.... We've all been there a time, or two lol.... But looking at the bigger picture and down the road.... Things change and you might want too get that PE credential as it may bring things down the road too help you out in the long run.... Little ass pain up front but it may pay dividends down the road....

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Iron Worker. My dad is a retired Iron Worker and a certain someone on here may chime in.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Billings my man... Billings... Too many crazy ass people in Colorado. Shootin the town up

I've been to Billings and Great Falls on business. All I saw was white meth heads and drunk Indians. Lol.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Iron Worker. My dad is a retired Iron Worker and a certain someone on here may chime in.

I have been hanging wiTh a few of these fellas lately in a job and they are some hard working guys. Very interesting dynamic. I like their work ethic and the work they are doing is excellent. I sometimes wonder if that would have been a better path for myself at times

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would take the test to add to your background. Contact some headhunters and put a silent word out that you are looking.
I was offered a company auditor position promotion in 1980 to Denver and even at that time I couldn't see myself living there. Sure as hell not 35 yrs later.

Last edited:

jeremy44230

Medina County
I work for a GC. Hired as a PM, working on a job as a superintendent. I love my job. No way I could interact with engineers all day (no offense) we all just have different personalities.

Do it while your young and try for that PE. Doesn't hurt.

teej89

NE PA
I work for a GC. Hired as a PM, working on a job as a superintendent. I love my job. No way I could interact with engineers all day (no offense) we all just have different personalities.

Do it while your young and try for that PE. Doesn't hurt.

yeah the only person I really get along with is a younger kid and he went to school to be a const manager but is doing CAD work for us.

Seems to be the trend to stay to get my PE... I guess in the long run it's not gonna hurt. Just hard to get myself motivated to do it.

Thanks for the replies guys!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not a lot I know about you. I would agree with the guys suggesting to get the credentials. If we knew each other better, my opinion might change.

But. . . I put a lot of value in Milo's opinions. I say to listen to him.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
If you want to get into Project Management, look into getting PMP certified. Cool thing about project management is you do t have to be tied to an industry, a project is a project.