Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I shot one ..need advice?

Hogmister13

So at the edge of dark nice buck stepped out I rushed the shot. I couldn't see shit after the shot for the smoke from my muzzleloader . Waited an hour got down and with my flashlight, found good blood but it started pouring the rain. I looked up and there he stands 40 yards from where I shot, I could only see his eyes and rack with my flashlight, he looked at me for a minute then he started walking up the field edge and I could see he had a limp, then all of a sudden he takes off with his Tail up snorts a couple times as he runs off then stops in the Thicket and snorts two or three more times. I could tell for sure it was the buck I shot and the blood was on the same path as he walked as well as where he went in the thickit. I backed out and prob won't go back until tomorrow evening. Despite the pouring rain I could see decent blood. have any of ya'll had a deer blow after the shot and recover it ? I know it happens to all of us but I'm sick.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I would also suggest morning. Take a roll of toilet paper and mark each blood spot. The TP will easily break down in a short time but sometimes, looking back at the blood trail may help you to better see the path he is taking through the woods. Deer see paths through the woods differently than we do many times. Move slow and keep looking ahead. Poss to take someone else along watch ahead while you blood trail. Maybe glass the woods looking for the rack.
Good luck!

Hogmister13

I want to give it more than enough time to die. The deer snorting tells me it's not hurt that bad an if it is a fatal shot at all it's gonna take it longer than 12 hours

Hogmister13

I may go in the morning, more than likely he's gonna be somewhat close to that area . There won't be any blood cause it's pouring the rain so I'll just have to go by the direction he ran. Has anybody ever recovered a deer after it has blowed ???

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Just a hunch here: I have seen more than one buck on the same trail more than once. I don't see a buck standing in one spot that long that was hit. I would go in loaded and slow soon as you can see good.
Good Luck! Hope to see him soon!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Snorting tells me it's not a lung shot, he could still be hit hard enough too die over night... I'd go back out as soon as you can and still hunt while looking for him too jump up in case he's still alive.... Still you owe it too him too put him down if you can....
Good luck and keep us posted....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
just a hunch here: I have seen more than one buck on the same trail more than once. I don't see a buck standing in one spot that long that was hit. I would go in loaded and slow soon as you can see good.
Good luck! Hope to see him soon!

^^^^^^this^^^^^^

Hogmister13

No luck I've been looking since daylight . Hope he makes it through this winter. I'm pretty sure he is not hurt too bad I've never had one snort after he was shot. Probably a flesh wound. Ohio sure has been hard on me this year, I'm about the throw in the towel !

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The part about the buck standing there and looking at you then snorting and running off has me confused. Also leaning toward a 2 buck idea. In 48 years never had a deer snort after being shot until last week. But the 2 bucks ran off together and snorted 2-3 times 200 yds away so not sure which one snorted.
Good luck.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
No luck I've been looking since daylight . Hope he makes it through this winter. I'm pretty sure he is not hurt too bad I've never had one snort after he was shot. Probably a flesh wound. Ohio sure has been hard on me this year, I'm about the throw in the towel !

You quit looking already?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you are giving up already on the buck you shot, you need to throw in the towel and take yourself back home. Stay there.

Hogmister13

I have covered over 100 acre tract up and down.l
That im allowed on. Mainly field then one hillside so it's easy to see if he is anywhere on that Tract. The neighbors don't allow anybody to be on there land even for a deer recovery, the landOwner made sure I knew that. I'm assuming he went over there. I'm 95% sure it was the deer that I shot that was snorting.

Last edited: