Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote beginner

ethanl

Hello all,

Any help on hunting coyote's?
I wanna try to help with there extreme population!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Quite a few threads on here which might help you get started. Unless you are really patient, really lucky, and have lots of time on your hands to sit and wait. . . You are going to need some calls. Electronic callers work nice, mouth calls work too. Then there are debates over how large or small a caliber rifle you will need. I would suggest .223 or larger. Some guys say no rimfires. Then there are guys who hunt during the day or those who hunt at night. This is assuming you want to shoot them. It is quite a rush when they respond to your calls.

Then there is driving them. Some guys party hunt them while others use dogs. Hope you like to walk a lot.

Then there is trapping or snaring them.

Probably best to use the search bar and read several of the threads already started. Then you might have some more specific questions. Sort of wide open when it comes to hunting them. We probably need a little more to go on than what you have given us.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
If you have time to check them every day: Learn to snare coyotes. Snares are out hunting while you are doing other things. One alive in a snare will add some excitement to your day!

Another newbie here, I'll be interest to see where this thread goes. After a couple years of decoy/electronic call sets with minimal success, I'm really starting to believe it's much more efficient to trap them.

OO2

In the Uplands
I have private land available to me to hunt. However, after making multiple sets and only calling in Hawks, crows, and a stray cat I'm weighing my options. Has anyone had luck at public land in Ohio?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have private land available to me to hunt. However, after making multiple sets and only calling in Hawks, crows, and a stray cat I'm weighing my options. Has anyone had luck at public land in Ohio?
What time are you doing the calling and what calls are you using? I've had good luck at first light and up til 9am.

OO2

In the Uplands
What time are you doing the calling and what calls are you using? I've had good luck at first light and up til 9am.

I'm going out in the morning before light and calling till about 9-9:30 like you described. I have a variety of hand calls that produce vocals/distress sounds that I mix with my FoxPro. I ran into a guy that deer hunts the same property that I do and he said they trapped close to 60-70 coyotes last winter. Seems like a steep number from the property I am on and the other neighboring ones he somehow managed to get permission to trap on.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
No fur taker permit needed for yotes. The thing with calling is everybody and there brother has a call and the yotes have heard them all. Use to call them in every now and then but it just seems like the yotes are educated big time. If you call one in and they scent you they will never come back. If you do call its best to put somebody with a shotgun about 100 yards down wind as the yotes will circle down wind to get to where the call is coming from. It's still fun to try it. Fun at night with a red light. You will call in all kinds of stuff like owls and hawks. Good luck!!!