Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Know Sumptin???

huntn2

Hudson, OH
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448937474.337887.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
TOOville!!!! I just had one heck if a evening last night!

Long story short for now!

I am hunting down here in SE Ohio with my bro and buddies from way back for a week of deer gun season. I've never killed a deer with a rifle before so Ron let me use his 45-70 lever action rifle. It's shooting 325 grain Horns pretty damn good out to 200 yards as well.

I was locked and loaded and set in Rons tripod deer stand smack dab along a pipeline cutting across a big hollar on our lease. I saw my first deer at 4:30 this past evening. They were two button bucks feeding on the opposite hill in the clear cut. As I continued to watch and video them for roughly 15-20 minutes I glanced up the hill to my right on my side and saw a larger bodied deer feeding in the clover in the clear cut about 100 yards above me.

A quick glance through my binos told me he was good enough so I grabbed the shooting stick I just cut out of brush near my blind about 45 minutes earlier and propped Ron's new rifle up on it and lined up the crosshairs of his Leo scope right on this bucks front shoulder and pulled back the hammer and squeezed the trigger slowly....till it go bang!

He took off down the hill like he'd been hit hard and into the brush behind me. I stuck my head out of the blind just in time to hear him trashing and appearing to crash but I wasn't sure.

I gathered up my gear and made my way up the 50 to 60 degree incline to where I thought he was standing when I shot. As I crested the hill over 125 yards away my phone just blew up!!!! I mean I had messages from home and from my buddies cuz while I sat down in this hollar all day long I had no cell service!!! ZILCH!!!

The text that really stood out to me was from two guys back home that I told about Karissas deer. One was the neighboring landowner and the other was a good guy that hunts this landowners land! They both said they'd keep an eye out for buzzards and her deer. Well apparently the hunter found it yesterday and told the LO and they both tried calling me all day long!!!

I immediately made contact with both of them and got the location of him and called another friend to go find him and to call me before he does anything. I will call it in for Karissa using her tag number to get her 18 digit number then have him write it on a piece of paper and secure it on the head before he moves it.

When I called Karissa to tell her she was practically ready to start crying! As I was too!!! This has been so hard on both of us!

After getting back to camp my bro and 3 other buddies headed out to find my deer. It was found rather quickly but he bled externally. The bullet went thru his right front shoulder breaking it as it took out both lungs. He went about 75-100 yards all downhill and was done in seconds.

What a day! We recover our deer on the same day!!!! I'm one happy dad! I'll post pics soon!

Last edited: