Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Question on deer hunting?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Deer like any other animal are susceptible to bait. Most pour out corn but they'll also eat soybeans etc. Apples, pears etc in the early season are great things to use for bait.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Baiting is legal in Ohio, but not on public land.

Baiting with food is very common, especially effective as the season goes on, the temps drop, and winter makes it more difficult for deer to find food.
Some folks even go so far as to plant crops specifically for the purpose of drawing deer to their property.
Wanna spend some time and money to bring wildlife around consistently, either out in the woods or right in your backyard? Buy an automatic feeder and keep filling it with corn. Google up "Moutrie feeder".

So the short answer to your question is a resounding "yes". :smiley_bril:

ethanl

Does anyone know of any land around I possibly could deer hunt on? I have a lot of public land I can hunt on but it'd be nice to have something that's private

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Does anyone know of any land around I possibly could deer hunt on? I have a lot of public land I can hunt on but it'd be nice to have something that's private

You may have to just knock on some doors like the rest of us. Welcome to the forum and good luck this season.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
On opening day of gun season, this is sort of like asking a stranger to write you into their will. Public land is your best bet right now. Just be careful out there. Lots of guys with guns. Some safe, some sloppy. Wear lots of orange. You might start asking permission from land owner's over the winter or next spring/summer. Opening day of gun season many land owners are already nervous about their houses/barns/animals/vehicles/family getting shot by a less than respectful "hunters".

ethanl

Okay, I will remember that. Yeah that is my fear, people not paying attention out there

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This is why it's always good to read the regs every year...

uploadfromtaptalk1448893658558.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1448893676228.jpg

ethanl

Got one other question. Just was reading online.... You can't use a 20ga with sabat slugs?

ethanl

Sorry for asking on here. Just feet confused. Reading different things. Been trying to get knowledgeable on the rules. Don't want to break any laws or anything....

mossbergbryson

Correct me if I'm wrong TOO veterans but I believe you're allowed to. I'm pretty sure that's what the Hornady SST slugs are.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Got one other question. Just was reading online.... You can't use a 20ga with sabat slugs?

Been using the savage model 220 20 ga for the last three year shooting Remington accutips.... Perfectly legal.... You can also use .410 with slugs as well.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not sure where you read that, but I'd stop using that resource to educate yourself. I've carried a 20 gauge loaded with sabots all week. Hornady SSTs shoot great out of my 1187.

ethanl

Okay cool. I got the Rossi 20ga/243 combo couple weeks ago. Just wanted to double check.
Thanks for the reply!