Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Public Hunters

HeartLunger

I recently discovered some public hunting land about 10 minutes from my office. I've never hunted public land, so for those who are public land hunters; can you answer the following questions and pass along maybe 2-3 tips?

1.) can you have placed stands - like hangons or ladders? I've checked the regs and can't find any info.
2.) do you justly hunt from climbers or ground blinds?

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I recently discovered some public hunting land about 10 minutes from my office. I've never hunted public land, so for those who are public land hunters; can you answer the following questions and pass along maybe 2-3 tips?

1.) can you have placed stands - like hangons or ladders? I've checked the regs and can't find any info. ( Yes you can leave stands, only thing I can read in the regs is nothing screwed into the tree. I carry my climber in and out unless I leave it in at the base of the tree overnight with the understanding that it may be gone when I come back.)
2.) do you justly hunt from climbers or ground blinds?
( I tend to hunt about 90% from the tree, there are some places that I prefer to be in a blind due to terrain features that shield the blind, like a deer walking around a little knob or hill so that when they do see the blind its usually to late.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You are not allowed to use any spikes or anything that will damage a tree. You can leave a hang on type stand in the woods, but it may come up missing. You have to pull your stands at the end of each season.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If I remember right, you can place ladder/hang on stands but I think you must have your name/address on it.....
If you do place them, just make sure the average guy who may be tempted won't due too locks and cables.....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You cannot use any spikes or anything that will damage a tree. You have to remove any stands you set at the end of season.

Bigcountry40

Shot, I cut branches, screw in hooks for my bow, as long as your not cutting down trees, who cares. At woodbury we used to cutt dead trees up for fire wood at the camp.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
One thing about leaving stands. You can leave hang ons in the tree or a climber at the base of the tree. One thing you need to understand though. Anyone can use those stands. If someone gets to your spot before you and climbs into your stand they have rights to it. That stand is open to the public.

Unless something has changed recently this is the drawback on leaving stands.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
One thing about leaving stands. You can leave hang ons in the tree or a climber at the base of the tree. One thing you need to understand though. Anyone can use those stands. If someone gets to your spot before you and climbs into your stand they have rights to it. That stand is open to the public.

So it basically turns into a community stand, first come first serve..... Yeah, buy a climber..... Or pack out your sticks if it's a lock on.....

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
So it basically turns into a community stand, first come first serve..... Yeah, buy a climber..... Or pack out your sticks if it's a lock on.....

Yep. It becomes community stand. First come first serve. When I hunted public land a lot I would leave my climber at the base of the tree. I would cover it with brush and hope no one found it.
It was a heavy sucker so I wasn't really worried about someone stealing it. Heck if they wanted to carry that son of a gun out have at it. It would have given me an excuse to buy a lighter one.
I never had any issues. A buddy who hunted the same area as me left his at the base of a tree one day and came back the next morning to find it scattered across about a 30 yd circle. Someone took it apart and threw it all around. He never covered his with brush though. Just left it at the base. They didn't take any of it so we figured they were just being dicks.

That would suck. I guess if I walked in and saw someone in my stand granted they have the right to sit in it but I'd be taking it down right then and there. My guess is you should be able to remove it any time since it is yours, hunter harassment law or not. That's why I think these days I'd just keep using my climber or invest in a portable system using Muddy or Lone Wolf sticks and a lightweight stand.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Thanks guys!

Do you all use GPS units for stand location, or do you use bright eyes?
Personally I do not use bright eyes, that will lead someone else to your location. I follow simple landmarks such as large trees, hill tops or terrain but if it's a new place you may have to use them the first couple times until you get comfortable finding the tree but then I would remove.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I started using the bright eyes for the new locations after I lost track of a tree I wanted in... Saw it the afternoon before, went the next morning too what I thought was the tree only too climb it and find out afterwards it was surrounded by poison ivy..... Won't make that mistake again.... I ended up with steroid shots..... Worse case I'd ever had....

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I use cat eyes but only about every 60 yards or so and not until I'm in about 100 yards. You can make due without them for the most part. And depending on which piece of public you hunt will determine if your stuff gets messed with. I'd never worry about it in the piece I hunt.

HeartLunger

I'm thinking I will use a GPS until I'm 100 yards in like you suggest, then switch to cat eyes.

I can't wait to scout this piece. Maybe the boys and I will don the orange and hit up some rabbits or squirrels on Thanksgiving morning while scouting at the same time.