Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Happy Youth Hunter.....and dad.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Well, Ethan finally broke his string of bad luck. It wasn't a very good start to his season. We got blanked on Saturday morning's sit. Saturday evening only produced a few deer WAY off in the hay field we were hunting until a doe showed up as we were exiting the blind. I was not in a good mood when we turned in for the night. I couldn't believe how beautiful of a day it was and had such poor deer movement. I was whipped on Sunday morning, but hopeful. We followed our routine...up showered, layered up for the cold, a little smoke for the clothes and off we went. After settling in to a new buddy stand at my Mom's, we chatted a little about where the deer would come from and how best to shoot(it's really crowded in those buddy stands). All of a sudden a doe busts down through the property, running crazy. A large dark deer follows and they disappear behind us. We are both turned trying to see where they went and hoping they return when I hear leaves rustling in front of us. I turn to see a nice young buck right on top of us. He stepped into a row of pines and allowed Ethan to get his gun in position. As he exited the pines he came to a stop at around 30 yards staring in the direction of the other deer. Unfortunately, the deer's vital were hidden by the only tree between us. After what seemed like an eternity the buck turned to go back the way he came and Ethan dropped the hammer. It looked like he was hit hard as he turned and ran about 40 yards into the bottom. He stopped and stood just looking away from us. Ethan was really excited and kept asking what to do. I gave him the go ahead to put another one in him. A shot rang out and....nothing, the deer didn't flinch. I asked what happened and he said he didn't know, that he had it right on him. I reached over and turned the scope up to 9x, told him to relax and make a good shot. This time with the report of the gun the buck lurched forward and started bulldozing until he tired and laid down to expire.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro
Outstanding! Congrats. How many shots hit the deer then? Two of them?

Yes. I believe the first hit is the obvious hole behind the shoulder. The second hit was forward actually right in the shoulder. If you look closely you can see just a little line of blood coming down the shoulder/leg. The entrance hole in the shoulder was very small.