Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Low Light AR system

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
IF a guy was to take a second AR and set it up primarily for a low light/evening situation, what would be your thoughts on the sighting set-up for minimal...

Say a guy takes a lazer and mounts it up front for an average of 50 yards... max of say 80, min of 10 yards...

IMG_1125.jpg

Would he be safe just going with that set-up alone or should there really be a basic rear sight. The idea would be a raw, point and shoot. The standard rear peep-in-the-handle sight is difficult to see in low light...

IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1144.jpg

Wmiller07

I would add a light, red dot, and probably buis. A light for sure because you need to be able to identify your target.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Right.
DPMS w/ aftermarket forend.

A light would probably be necessary.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Not really hunting...
Zombies. lol
The lazer is green btw.

I wonder because I see 1/2 and 1/2 articles about " OOooo don't use a laser unless you are highly trained" or "They fail!!! " or other such crap.
Yes. Its elect. It probably will fail at some point but until then, Its a bad ass set-up in anything just less of full daylight.
Highly trained? ya. right. I'll get right on that...
Once its sighted in to the distance you want, your good. It didn't seem that hard to me when it was set up at 30 yds to start.

I suppose there should be a very basic front/rear pin, although it wouldn't do to much good in low light situations, right?

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Not a fan of lasers. I recommend trying one first. You don't realize how jumpy you are aiming especially at distance.

Light and proper scope for situation IMHO.

The DPMS is screaming for a Bushnell TRS-25 and a Streamlight Polytac.

epe

Lancaster
I just put a scope on my ar, and would like a secondary sighting option for closer shots. If you don't like lasers been, what would you suggest?