Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My nicest buck

clyde the pointer

We have owned our property in Licking Co. for 11 years. It has steadily produced does, small bucks. Every so often I will see a big one, but I am not ready, or it spots me before I can be. I know they are here, the elusive masters of the woods, they are just not apparent to me and rare in sighting.

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting facing East on the West side of the property over an area that I have cultivated in Rye grain, and placed mineral block, and 4" corrugated pipe feeder. We are a pass through area with no "hold" for deer, my neighbor to the North has that kind of terrain. This area has an East stand, and it is about 100 yds from the stand I was in and overlooks a pathway from the neighbor to me. The last few times I have sat in either stand I have seen deer within shooting range at the other. Oh well it's hunting right?

About 4:15 a spikey walks through and heads North. 30 mins later there is activity near the East stand and I watch, grunting a few times to attempt and get their attention. Another small buck is coming from the North with some interest in the does and a little chasing takes place, me still grunting here and there to get someone to come by and visit. A doe blows to my North and East, and these two I am following are not affected, don't know what the blower saw, she was distant to my position.

They are doing their little dance about 75 yds from me, and look in my direction. I can't really see them that well through the fading light to see if they have spotted me. Leaves crunch to my right and this boy walks out looking at them, his pathway is right in front of me. My biggest buck to date!

11.20.15 buck.jpg

I recently purchased a Ten Point crossbow from a friend. I use a compound, however find that a crossbow is easier to deploy in a two man stand as was the case in the tree I was sitting last night. Arrow tips were NAP Spitfire. Looking forward to a nice European mount.

Thanks for all the great reading on the site. I have spent a lot of time here viewing others success and reporting. The rut is far from dead around me. Good luck to everyone!