Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Old and wise...

Kaiser878

ohio
Since I moved to this property I have been running cameras. This will be my 3rd year..... the firdt yesr I got a picture of a 4 yo deer that was wide and and large bodied. He was a minimum of 4, I suppose he coulda been 5. I just got him back on camera for this year. I hsd him all last yesr also.

This deer is atleast 6 yo. I've saw him 2 times ever. Once standing in the road and one time last week checking traps. It's amazing how the deer with shit genetics can survive but the ones with good genetics never do.
uploadfromtaptalk1447862517251.jpg

Here he is the last two previous years
uploadfromtaptalk1447862674876.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1447862701558.jpg

At one time last year, he made the trek to my dads. Which is about 3 miles away. Over a main road, over both lanes of 77 and across a river then over the hill... amazing how these deer survive

runhunter

haha.... somewhere in the growth of the real good ones, there's some sort of magnet to headlights and projectiles...

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have made the mistake a few times of not shooting old mature bucks because I was lost in the score of the rack...regret every one of those decisions.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Since I moved to this property I have been running cameras. This will be my 3rd year..... the firdt yesr I got a picture of a 4 yo deer that was wide and and large bodied. He was a minimum of 4, I suppose he coulda been 5. I just got him back on camera for this year. I hsd him all last yesr also.

This deer is atleast 6 yo. I've saw him 2 times ever. Once standing in the road and one time last week checking traps. It's amazing how the deer with shit genetics can survive but the ones with good genetics never do.
View attachment 38665

Here he is the last two previous years
View attachment 38666

View attachment 38667

At one time last year, he made the trek to my dads. Which is about 3 miles away. Over a main road, over both lanes of 77 and across a river then over the hill... amazing how these deer survive

It's because those that have seen him while hunting and driving weren't impressed enough to knock on doors,pay lots of money to lease up the ground he spends most of his time on and/or use their tag on if he gave them an opportunity. Lol

I know what you mean Zach and have noticed the same thing but I think what I typed might have some truth to it. Lol

Kaiser878

ohio
To be honest this property gets a lot of pressure in gun season. And a lot of the pressure in gun season is either Amish or old guys who just want to shoot something. So it really surprises me that this year has made it this long. I have never dedicated any time to really figuring him out. He doesn't really spend a lot of time around other big deer. So I think that's a lot of the reason why I haven't personally seen him while hunting.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Interesting! It does make it more impressive since there's a lot of pressure and hunted hard by the Amish community then! When they hunt a property they take everything like a timber company does to timber when they clear cut it!

Bigcountry40

Kaiser I think our properties we hunt are fairly close after reading this post, how close are you to stone creek or 751?

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Interesting! It does make it more impressive since there's a lot of pressure and hunted hard by the Amish community then! When they hunt a property they take everything like a timber company does to timber when they clear cut it!

Ha! Those deer are programmed. I hunted a piece in Coshocton county once that was heavily hunted by amish. I bumped some deer off a hillside and climbed a tree. Sure enough, those deer just did a big circle and were casually walking back in 15 minutes later.

Kaiser878

ohio
Checked the camera by my house today..... trying see what deer made it.... wouldn't ya know it..... the old and wise 6 pt is still kicking.

He also appears to have lost a bunch of weight... the rut and gun season has been rough on him
uploadfromtaptalk1450385582072.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1450385614994.jpg

Kaiser878

ohio
Also sad to say the 4yo ten at my dads has teturned, but with a bum leg.... I need daylight pics to see what happened. Buy I assume he was hit by a slug from a careless, lead slinging gun hunter.
uploadfromtaptalk1450385826077.jpg