Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

44mag options

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a "Dirty Harry" and I am sort of itching to use it again. It has a Leupold scope on it with extended eye relief. I killed a deer with it once and wasn't real happy with the results. Even with extended eye relief it was very fickle on full field of view or nothing. You move slightly and your clear sight picture is suddenly black. It caused me to make a shot on the deer I killed. . . not as clean as I would have liked. I am looking for some redemption.

I considered removing the scope. Gun was purchased with scope and I don't have the rear sight aperture. If I am spending money on a rear sight, I am thinking a red dot or reflex type sight instead. It appears you can spend $20 or thousands of dollars. I don't see anything over 75yds for shots taken. Truthfully, I expect shots to be in bow range although it would be nice to extend the range a bit. Bow range out to 75yds is realistic. I am not taking 150yd shots with my skill level for this. I do intend on purchasing soon though and emptying plenty of lead at the range in the next couple of weeks. . . .Or just using the shot gun if I cannot shoot enough to be confident in my abilities.

Will a $20-60 red dot suffice? Do I need to drop a couple hundred? This isn't something I anticipate hunting with often. Just mixing it up a bit.

Here is the current setup with ol' Brutus. RIP.
My watchdog Brutus 44 Mag0001.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My concern along with accuracy would be how it would hold up against the recoil....
Not a big handgun hunter so what too buy I'll leave too others but if it's a red dot, make sure it's a quality one....

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Phil I've been browsing red dots lately too and the prices are all over the place. $19.99 all the way up to over a grand. Still looking here so I'll keep you in mind if I come across a good deal. Gun season is coming QUICK though. Ordering online is getting ruled out.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The recoil of a 44 mag will destroy a cheap scope or red dot. I've used Weaver 50MM, and Tasco Pro-Point without a problem for 15 yrs.
Just make sure you have a good mount and since you had a scope on it it should be OK.

Scopes on handguns are a learned skill. I never used anything but a 2 powder with a crosshair Dot. Anything more powerful that 2 power and I found it to be way too slow for deer hunting and the field of view is too small. The other secret of handgun scope shooting to force yourself to keep both eyes open. This gives a wide field of view and less eye strain.
Bring the scope up from your waist and make sure it's 100% level or you won't see anything. I've never had a problem shooting handguns with scopes but as I got older I did switch over to red dots. But you must remember to turn the damn things on or off and don't run the battery dead. I've done both.
I believe the some of the newer designed red dots have auto shut off.

I may still have a rear sight for a Smith in my gunshow inventory. ASAP but I won't see the stuff until January show. I will do a quick look but it maybe too deep.

I checked Amazon and there are 3 pages of red dots. If I was buying one I would check.
1-no cheap no name brands.
2-make sure your present scope base will take the mounting system of the red dot.
3-buy only Weaver style mounting system as it has a cross bolt that sets in a scope base groove to hold against recoil.
4-avoid the red dot types that have the screen above the sight as it just looks like a accident ready to happen if bumped or hit. It might be OK for a target pistol that's carried around in a box but not a rough handled hunting gun. IMO
5-28-30 MM would be the smallest and I like my 50 MM but have several 30 MM and use them well.
6-check the manufacture home page on the red dot to make sure it's designed for magnum pistols. Some will be for 357 mag but not 44 Mag.

This is just my opinions and others may be different and so be it. But 30 yrs of serious handgun hunting has give me some well taken opinions. Taken elk, 23 deer, ram with handguns and nothing has failed me. And I'll take the same systems to Africa.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Hand gun hunting can be somewhat of an acquired taste so to speak Phil but it does come with its own rewards too. The 2X Leupold I have on my 44 is not very forgiving if not perfectly aligned so I have considered a red-dot style as well but have yet to purchase one. I have kept my kill zones to bow range and have had some very enjoyable harvests of deer and hogs. Its also a treat to be able to keep both hands warm until its time to slap leather. I used a Weaver low profile base so the gun was usable with the scope off as well.

Mix it up and pull a Dirty Harry on em!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great thoughts J!

Frank- I was hoping you would chime in. Was going to call you yesterday but thought you were in the woods. I would LOVE to shoot both eyes open. I am right handed/left eye dominant. Unless I start shooting left handed, I don't see it working well.

Jim- I bet we have the same scope. I agree it is an acquired taste. I sip on it occasionally just like a good bourbon or scotch. Been having the hankering to dig out the 44mag again. Probably get the 220 dialed in for Garrett and then shoot the 44mag myself. Need to order in the next couple days if I am getting it mounted and dialed in before season. Would be close shots. Not trying to shoot them 100-150yds out. I want redemption, not more remorse. I said bow range out to 75yds. Truthfully, I won't know how far I would take a shot until I start shooting it again. I can see a hundred dollar bill going down range in the near future. lmao

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Phil I'm right handed and left eye dominant. All I do is just move the gun position to the left for sighting and shoot right handed using the left eye with no problem. Try and you'll see it's OK.
Red dot's are more forgiving. But I've taken 20 deer with a Burris 2 power scope and never felt short handed a bit. But in my hay day I was shooting 2 times per week at 6" plate at 50 yds. with a friend and we average over 90%. I shoot over 5000 full loads 44 Mag per year does give a good edge that has remained. When we are pistol shooting my son always says 'let the old man show you how it's done'.
If I knew you need a red dot at the Lima show I would have borrowed the Tasco Pro Dot setting here. Not for sale.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bowhunter57 is going to let me try the one he had on his 44mag when he owned it. What a good man.

I would offer to let him hunt my woods again but the last time he did with his brother. . . .he got to see the war zone it is over there with all the trespassing gun "hunters" on surrounding properties. He might not want to hunt it. Offer is there if you are interested Dan.