Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scope for Rossi lever action 45 LC

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I had a heck of a time getting a scope base for the Rossi 92 I bought off a fellar here on TOO. They were out of stock everywhere for months and I almost forgot about it for awhile. Decided to check a few sites a couple weeks ago and bam, they all carry them again. Got the rear site off and new scope base mounted with no problems.

Here's the question... What should I mount on the scope base? It's pretty far forward compared to a normal rifle so it has to be something with a lot of eye relief. I've looked a little and it seems like handgun scopes may be an option or a "scout" style scope. I don't own either so I have to buy something.

I'm not really worried about the magnification. I'm more interested in something easy for my 8 year old daughter to use. I'm thinking maybe a red dot. Thoughts on this? Anyone have a scope or other optic mounted on a similar rifle?

Right now I'm leaning towards red dot because I don't plan on taking any real long shots (probably try to keep it under 60 yards), they are fairly inexpensive, and it seems like the most user friendly optic for a kid. But, I've never used a red dot. Looked through one on a handgun once and looked through one on an AR and that was about it.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would go with a red dot also. I don't think a pistol scope will work as most have to be held at arms length to see through.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I ended up buying a red dot at field and stream tonight. It was a "cheap" one, about $65. Sales guy seemed knowledgeable and was pretty helpful. He pulled the package apart and put the battery in one so I could check it out. I played around with it for a minute and decided to give it a whirl.

We will see how it holds up at the range tomorrow. I'm going to start off shooting at 25 yards or so with cowboy loads until I get it sighted in pretty close. I'll move it out to 50 yards and try a few hotter loads if I can get it zeroed. If I can hit a pie plate at 40-50 yards consistently, it holds zero, and doesn't fall apart I'll take it out for gun season. If I can get my daughter shooting it good I'm going to try to get HER to shoot a deer with it for gun season. She was the reason I bought this rifle and set it up this way but I'll be honest I wanna play with it too!

Last edited: