Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Long Term Storage of Loaded Magazine

Your feeling on long term storage of a loaded magazine

• Stored empty. I'll load em when the shit hits the fan.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
So what's the general opinion these days? Could a magazine stored for long term (years) fail due to being compressed?
For the record, I have gone the long term route for many years but things can change so I thought I'd put it out there and ask.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I had a magazine years ago fail to load the last few rounds after leaving it fully loaded for an extended period of time. Now, I only load 1/3 of the mag. No issues yet but it's still a little to early to tell if it will cause issues.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've had numerous mags loaded for a very extended period of time (they've been fully loaded for over 20 years) they're never empty unless I'm at the ranger hunting and never had any issues....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Mags are perfectly fine left loaded. The type of springs used don't weaken with compression.

Many 1911 mags have been used after sitting for 50 years.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I load them and forget them. I did like leave the spring rest once per year. Does it really know it's been a year?

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
The cycling of the spring wears it out. I got mags loaded all over the place and if I found the receipt for the ammo could tell you what year it was lol.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Mine would be somewhere between 0-1yrs. How does one own so many guns/mags that he never cycles any ammo in them?!?

Storing them between shooting them they stay loaded.... So for the most part they stay loaded all the time....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Mine would be somewhere between 0-1yrs. How does one own so many guns/mags that he never cycles any ammo in them?!?

Its surprising what a guy can accumulate over time. Things just follow you home... A extra box of shells here, couple extra mags there...
Give it another 30 years. You'll see. lol

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Between now and November 2016 everyone should have at least 50 high cap AR mags.

Loaded I am guessing? lol

How does one own so many guns/mags that he never cycles any ammo in them?!?

Depends on the gun. Depends on the needs. I walk around every day with a loaded extra mag in my pocket. Hope I never need it, but it is loaded just in case.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Between now and November 2016 everyone should have at least 50 high cap AR mags.

I've already had those for 20 yrs. All used military and never had one fail to feed a round. And yes several are loaded for my AUG and hell in a tight spot for my 2 AR's.
I don't leave town without a extra loaded mag.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
From a safety standpoint, if you have kids in the house or a wife thinking of collecting your life insurance policy, mags should be empty to make it a little longer to load a gun.
Now if you keep all your goodies locked in a safe........,

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
From a safety standpoint, if you have kids in the house or a wife thinking of collecting your life insurance policy, mags should be empty to make it a little longer to load a gun.
Now if you keep all your goodies locked in a safe........,

No kids around anymore, and my wife still loves me after 34 years being together lol....

My go too weapons are easy access and hard too find too others.... Except my wife of course lol

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
This is not about safe storage. Lets assume each is using what their household environment requires to be safe.