Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Going to Middle Bass island

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
This weekend with some friends. Driving up Saturday and hunting Sunday, Monday and Tuesday morning. Hopefully some divers will be flying, I'd love to get a pair of buffleheads mounted. We went to Kelly's island a couple years ago together and mergansers were the majority of birds shot.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Sounds fun Sam!
Which one of those classic shotguns will you be using?

punt gun.jpg

Last edited:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Good luck man. Should be a good time. Weather should be good. Take a rod and some husky jerks and perfect 10s and try casting for walleye at night along the rocks. They should be there.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Well the trip was a bust, never took the guns out of the cases. Motor trouble on the boat and no mechanic, parts or gas on the island. Had the ferry bring a fuel filter over on Sunday. It ran ok for awhile then stopped again. Fortunately we never got far enough from dock to be in trouble, the boat had a 9.9 kicker motor as a backup to get us back to dock but it wasn't enough to handle a 20' Alaskan with 4 guys, a dog and a bunch of gear on a windy Lake Erie.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well the trip was a bust, never took the guns out of the cases. Motor trouble on the boat and no mechanic, parts or gas on the island. Had the ferry bring a fuel filter over on Sunday. It ran ok for awhile then stopped again. Fortunately we never got far enough from dock to be in trouble, the boat had a 9.9 kicker motor as a backup to get us back to dock but it wasn't enough to handle a 20' Alaskan with 4 guys, a dog and a bunch of gear on a windy Lake Erie.

Damn, was hoping that filter was the ticket.... Sorry too hear it didn't fix it...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
It ran for 30 minutes or so after changing filters. I think it was bad gas, it had a funky green color that we attributed to fuel stabilizer but not sure.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It ran for 30 minutes or so after changing filters. I think it was bad gas, it had a funky green color that we attributed to fuel stabilizer but not sure.

Is the motor a 4 stroke? If not the mixture will show up as an off color.... But if it's really green? Yeah flush that puppy....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I run an additive in almost every tank, and especially when it's the last few tanks of the season. That way I know for sure its in the entire fuel system.... My boat sat for 18 months the last time I deployed, it had a full tank with plenty of sea foam additive in it... Pulled it out of storage and it ran fine this whole year.... Preparations the key for storing them....