Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting land financing

MandRroofing

In the woods
Hey everyone,i want purchase ground in Kentucky and needing financing to do so.does anyone have experience with this.my bank wants 50% down.i just caint do that...any experience here on this? Thanks!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sounds like you need a new bank. Especially if you've been a long standing, loyal customer. My dad pulled all his money over a situation just like this. 50% is insane...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A 2nd mortgage on your residence is the easiest way if no other course. I ran into the same problem when I bought my farm back in 1991. The build craze was going on and the banks were afraid of land purchases.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Standard is 30% for straight land.

They wanted 25% for the last two rental properties we bought. No exceptions. The appraisal didn't affect it. If appraised at $100k, and bought for $50k. . . they still want $12.5k down plus closing costs. It is more about redtape and regulation than bank policy. Govt got their hands in it. Unsure on land but if they want 25% on properties bringing in enough revenue to more than pay for themselves, I really wouldn't be surprised at 50% on straight land.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
We bought our farm with a home on it. It has running water, gas, etc. it was 30% down.