Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Youth gun

HeartLunger

Anyone as excited as me about this weekend?

The older my kids get the less I'm excited about alone time in the stand. For the most part, I'm excited about them being there with with me, save for the times they get fidgety and cold quicker than I.

I have a double set up that I'm thinking we'll go to on Saturday morning. I'm probably going to set a hang on on the opposite side of the tree that I can sit in and both my boys can sit together in the double.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not yet, but I will be in a few more years. My daughter will be 3 in a little over a month, so once she's ready to start hunting, I'll be all about it! Good luck out there with you boys!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Heck yeah! My daughter is ready but wants to continue using the xbow over the youth 20 gauge but it's totally her decision. We'll be sitting together regardless!

Good luck to you and your boys!

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I am so fired up I can't wait. We have been working on set ups, have 3 stands set up and some nice deer on cams and I have seen some while bow hunting. My younger sons are 16 and 9, I hope the rut bust lose Saturday and they both kill a monster.

The trip and the time we get to spend together is priceless and I thank God that we can do things together.

jeremy44230

Medina County
Pretty pumped for this weekend. Taking my little brother again. My daughter is going to sit with us. She wants to hunt, but is a bit scared of shooting the .410. Maybe in a couple years.....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll be in Guernsey county with my buddy and his kids, I'll be sitting with one of them in a blind. Temps are looking good!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Anyone as excited as me about this weekend?

The older my kids get the less I'm excited about alone time in the stand. For the most part, I'm excited about them being there with with me, save for the times they get fidgety and cold quicker than I.

I have a double set up that I'm thinking we'll go to on Saturday morning. I'm probably going to set a hang on on the opposite side of the tree that I can sit in and both my boys can sit together in the double.

Super excited. My 13 year old is shooting the 12ga like a boss. This will be his first year and hasn't really taken to hunting, but when I mentioned youth gun season, he perked up. Stoked!

I'm just glad my son wants to head down to hunt this weekend. He still won't give the muzzleloader a try yet and I haven't had the $$ to look at anything else with a light load so we will be donning the hunter's orange for him to use the crossbow. Just relieved he actually is looking forward to getting out again.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Yes I am excited. I will be taking a buddies son out again this year. Last year our hunt lasted about 5 minutes. Hoping he is successful again this year. I love taking youth out.

Buckmaster

Portage
We are still too small (7) to partake in these wonderful events.

I, however, just spoke with my father about the 2016 season when Mini Me will be 8.

My Father already has a .22 for an April Birthday present and a .410 bolt action (full choke) to be used 2016 youth season. I will need to see how it shoots slugs though. 25 yards is about all we need.

Already planning for next year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If this past weekend was youth gun. . . Last night would have turned out different. Oh well. That is hunting. My son perked up a bit as well when I told him youth gun was next weekend.

Great news Mike! Hope your boy gets bitten by the bug.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I will be taking my son and my grandson will be going with us for his first deer hunt. The weather looks cold so I hope the deer move so the kids stay a lil warmer not thinking about how cold it is.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just heard from my brother. It seems my nephew will be joining us for Saturday, along with Mason's buddy, Noah. I will be sending them to a different property where I already have a couple of double sets in place. Mason and I will be hunting the big boys at another location. I'd love to make it a big group thing, but getting Mason a shot is a little more important than a little bonding deal this weekend! Still, we will be there to pick up the bodies if the boys have any luck! Hopefully, all will have a safe and fun-filled weekend!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Goodluck to everyone going out this weekend! I have one question..a guy at work today said that this year he was thinking bow hunters weren't allowed to hunt. Period. He said the way he read it in the regs, it looked like they weren't allowing bow hunters to hunt during this weekend. Is this correct?

HeartLunger

Goodluck to everyone going out this weekend! I have one question..a guy at work today said that this year he was thinking bow hunters weren't allowed to hunt. Period. He said the way he read it in the regs, it looked like they weren't allowing bow hunters to hunt during this weekend. Is this correct?

That isn't correct. Both my boys just completed hunter safety and our county's game warden was there. This question was asked and he said if you are by yourself you allowed to bow hunt (still have to wear orange). If you are with a youth you aren't allowed to take any weapon normally used to take wildlife (you are still allowed CHL).

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Im pumped and so is my 12 year old Son, been taking him out each night to shoot his new gun that he saved up for and bought in August. Pretty good groups at 50 yards with his Remington 870 12ga. with Hornady SST's. Heck I even shot it and thought damn Im getting soft, kinda caught me in the shoulder hard and he was just smiling and banging away...LOL. Probably have to sit Saturday out and go Sunday all day, he has his first ever wrestling scrimmage Saturday. Good luck to everyone!