Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stopping Raccoons From Climbing

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Talking with Adam and J regarding Raccoons and eating all of my corn ( they ate 100 pounds in 3 nights a few weeks back ) I thought I would start a thread to see what others have done or tried to stop dem buggers from having a free meal every night. I have over 12 on camera at one time and I read where one (1) coon can eat up to 5 pounds a night.

Now I will admit I have been placing my corn on the ground so that does not help of course. I have looked at different feeders and as you all know a lot of them still dispense / throw corn at programed times which will help. I found and bought this style feeder and will give it a try. I am working right now so I have not had a chance to mount it but I am going with a single tree that stands alone with no other limbs or trees close by and it is a smaller dia. tree.

61H5kTRFseL.jpg

My thought was to mount the feeder, wrap one of the following around the base of the tree up to the bottom of the feeder:
1. Aluminum sheet Metal or Flashing, painted of course.
2. Large Dia. PVC Pipe, Large enough so they cannot wrap there arms / legs around it.
3. Polycarbonate Sheet wrap.
4. Nixalite Climbing Barriers (Porcupine Wire) for birds and climbing rodents / animals
5. Barb Wire

Not sure how if one or any of these will work or at least slow them down. Just wondering / hoping the brothers of TOO may have some thoughts and or other ideas.

Thanks in advance................

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It's a battle of wits when it comes too these little bastards Jeff, lots of trials and errors along the way.... Flashing sounds intriguing just make sure they can't jump up and grab the top and pull them selves up....

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Flashing sounds intriguing just make sure they can't jump up and grab the top and pull them selves up

Good Point J. I would probably try putting the flashing up behind the feeder, same with any of the other materials I mentioned. It's going to be a trail and error project I am guessing. Man if someone could come up with a 90 - 100% sure thing they could become rich over night from the hunting community in sales, lol. Could go on Shark Tank and try to make a sales pitch!!

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
If they were just coming in my yard I would smoke em a heart beat. Did that before when I would put corn out in the harsh winter ( after season ) just to help the deer out. Problem is shooting them where I am bow hunting, it would screw the area up without a doubt. :smiley_boos:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Stupid question, do you need a fur takers license to shoot em during open season, or is it for trapping only? Can you hunt them at night?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Stupid question, do you need a fur takers license to shoot em during open season, or is it for trapping only? Can you hunt them at night?

Other than coons trapped on my property which I have dispatched, I am not sure I have ever killed a coon. Pretty sure I haven't. If it were a nuisance like this one is, I think SSS would be fine. It is YOUR property isn't it Jeff? I would think that constitutes a nuisance.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Other than coons trapped on my property which I have dispatched, I am not sure I have ever killed a coon. Pretty sure I haven't. If it were a nuisance like this one is, I think SSS would be fine. It is YOUR property isn't it Jeff? I would think that constitutes a nuisance.

Yes it is our property. I pleaded nusianse and crop damage..........my crop of corn that is. mischeif.gif