Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phone picture view for trail cams

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Holy carp that's cool. No more dragging the laptop out in the woods. Would be useful too when I pull a card at my stand to look at it while hunting.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
This is what I was wondering about a couple weeks ago.... Be a great tool while running cameras, and kill time in the stand like Joe said....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't have a smart phone. I use a card viewer made by WGI. Just insert an SD card and view whats on it. You can even magnify the image. If I'm not in a hurry I use it to aim my cameras when setting them up. About $59 bucks or so. Has a large 2 1/4 X 3 3/4 inch screen.

Is it this one here? On Amazon it's $48.78 http://amzn.to/1MGrYdg

rsmith

My friend had one of those card viewer ones for his phone and it kept whiping the card clear when it would pull up the app on his phone. He was pretty pissed, funny to watch though haha

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My friend had one of those card viewer ones for his phone and it kept whiping the card clear when it would pull up the app on his phone. He was pretty pissed, funny to watch though haha

Do you remember what model it was?

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
That's the one, Joe.

I bought the same one a few weeks ago...slightly used from ebay for $35...I use it to make sure camera is where I want it...also, some of my cams are in locations that are not quick in and out, so I only check them when I hunt, I'll view the cards with this while on stand.

It's pretty easy to use, plus it comes with cables if you need them...Only issue I have, is some files don't open...gives me a decoding error. Ever had that happen? It only happens when I pull the card from one of my older Simmons cams. So I think it has to do with that cameras particular AVI format, other AVI files open just fine from my other cams. I'll replace that camera with a newer one soon though.

Still a great device and it fits nicely in my daypack without taking up a lot of room.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I started just buying the micro SD cards with the regular size adapter. When I go check the cam I just pop out the micro card and replace it with another one. I then put the micro card in my phone to view the pics. I always have my phone on me so it works well. If I forget a replacement card then i will view the cam card when in stand then put it back when I climb back down. Of course this only works if your phone had a memory slot. Most androids or window phones do. I dont think iPhones do.

I bought the same one a few weeks ago...slightly used from ebay for $35...I use it to make sure camera is where I want it...also, some of my cams are in locations that are not quick in and out, so I only check them when I hunt, I'll view the cards with this while on stand.

It's pretty easy to use, plus it comes with cables if you need them...Only issue I have, is some files don't open...gives me a decoding error. Ever had that happen? It only happens when I pull the card from one of my older Simmons cams. So I think it has to do with that cameras particular AVI format, other AVI files open just fine from my other cams. I'll replace that camera with a newer one soon though.

Still a great device and it fits nicely in my daypack without taking up a lot of room.

The three cameras I use most are Bushnell Trophy Cams. Never had any reading problems with any of the cards.

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Got one for my phone, it called like the "whitetail'r" and its red in color. Works alright, but i dont like using it, it writes an android software on the card everytime I use it and I cant swipe through the pictures instead i have to click each one, when you have hundreds of pictures this is a pain. Cool because you can view on stand but to be completely honest I got busted the other morning when I was messing with this thing trying to look at pictures while on stand.

buckstar25

T-county
Transcend also makes one for Android phones and tablets. It's pretty slick and 10.00. Word of caution it won't work on Droid Maxx. uploadfromtaptalk1447544909394.jpg