Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Supplemental Feeding

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Anyone on here do it? Im going to start and am trying to gain as much research as possible, I plan to start in January and it looks like I need to get a boss buck gravity feeder since thats the best one ive found, I plan to put it on a logging trail with thick bedding on each side and only visit the feeder to fill it back up. This is a sanctuary type area and I will not hunt over or close to it. Im trying to find out any info I can. Like what product you feed and when do you start and end or do you feed all year? thanks for any and all help in advance!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I feed all year round. I'm also buying a Boss Buck to feed protein May-August and a special blend in December and January, then corn the rest of the time. I do it for pics and because I enjoy the process. I'm sure it helps heed health on some level, so that provides a little satisfaction as well.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
uploadfromtaptalk1447457471184.jpghaha

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Thanks for the info Giles, when I get some time I will check it out

Jesse, What do you plan to feed? i was thinking of starting mid to late dec with a blend of corn and protein, and then I read of guys using soybeans mixed with corn since beans are high in protein.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm trying to get an in with a guy that has a PTO driver cement mixer. I'm going to blend equal parts corn, soy beans, molasses pellets, cracked corn and sweet feed. Shit won't be cheap, but I don't plan to feed it longer than 2.5 months.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm trying to get an in with a guy that has a PTO driver cement mixer. I'm going to blend equal parts corn, soy beans, molasses pellets, cracked corn and sweet feed. Shit won't be cheap, but I don't plan to feed it longer than 2.5 months.

Not cheap as in the cost to mix it? Or cost of pellets? Our local feed and seed store uses an electric cement mixer to mix our minerals. Just a cheapy from Harbor Freight. I don't supplemental feed, but this might be an idea for you guys if it requires a lot of mixing.