Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What say you?

heelbilly

So, is it just me or have there been a lot more treestand accidents this year? I've heard of at least a dozen here in my local corner of SWO. I'm just as guilty as the next guy for not using a lifeline (I need to get a couple for sure).

The manufacturers of these safety harnesses should be including the lifeline (or their version of it) with the harnesses, and if a treestand manufacturer supplies a harness with the purchase they should throw one in as well. Does anyone else feel this way?

I mean I know it's $30 or $40 but if they really cared about the safety, why not eat the cost of one and package them with the harnesses if someone is spending over $100 on a harness. Just my .02. What say you?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Add $30 to the cost of each stand. Sales will go down unless each manufacturer does so. How many harnesses which come with the stands are tossed to the side and not used? Same thing will happen to the lifelines, but the cost will go up.

heelbilly

I understand that side of it although it doesn't cost $30 to make, I was coming from the angle of doing something out of the goodness of one's heart (hahaha I know right). It's terrible all of the stories of accidents I've heard this year. Was just curious what others thought.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Muddy Outdoors does give a lifeline with their harness, so you at least get one to start you out.

IMO, people get cocky while climbing and fail to take their time, maintain 3 points of contact and move with purpose. There's a few instances where it really was a freak accident, but the vast majority are preventable.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Muddy Outdoors does give a lifeline with their harness, so you at least get one to start you out.

IMO, people get cocky while climbing and fail to take their time, maintain 3 points of contact and move with purpose. There's a few instances where it really was a freak accident, but the vast majority are preventable.

I think they're talking about a "lifeline" being a line that goes from the ground to the stand with a prusic knot in it. Is muddy shipping with one of those now, or are you talking about the rope linemans belt that comes with it.

On all of my stands right above the seat I have a tree strap around the tree. When I get to the top of the ladder I snap the carabiner connected to my harness tether to it. Then and only then do I actually climb in the stand. I then slide the tree strap up higher and cinch it down. When I'm exiting the stand I loosen it and let it slide down. The vast majority of Treestand accidents happen entering or exiting the stand transition to or from the ladder.

runhunter

I know I get lazy at times, especially in the mornings, and don't take the time to attach my belt until after I get up my tree. Pointless, I know... because that is more or less when it is going to happen.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I just got my new muddy harness last night, no life line with it, just the linemans belt. I have to send it back anyways, too small.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I don't think all of them come with one, just certain models. But I do know they are selling ones that come with the lifeline.

Called Bass Pro, the only Muddy they have is the Crossover, its in my size and it has the lifeline with it. Ill be picking it up this afternoon.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
The crossover Combo is $120 at Bass Pro, but its $100 at Field and Stream. Bass Pro is going to Price match it, which is good b/c they are on my drive home. F&S is about 40 minutes north of the house.