Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Armistice Day Blizzard of 1940

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I've read a few books about it and found them amazing. The armistic day blizzard was the storm which sank the Edmund fitzgerald , as well as many other ships and killed a bunch of other people across the Midwest. It set set records for the lowest barometric pressure recorded in many areas . The temps dropped from 60's to teens and wind were 50-80 mph . 2 feet of snow fell in some areas in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Hunters were stranded in the elements and many were un prepared due to mild weather leading up to the front. I could go on but I'm not doing it justice. Some people acts of bravery and heroism during this storm saved many lives and me rambling on doesn't do them , or the people who perished justice.
I'd highly recommend doing some google research or reading one of several books written about it. " The day all hell broke loose" and "In the Grip of a Whirlwind"

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I seen a TV special on the 1940 blizzard it killed like 150 nationwide.
The Edmund Fritzgerald sank on Nov 10,1975 as I was working in Dearborn Htgs. MI at the time.
Don't tell anyone but I drove past the resturant within minutes of the time that Jimmy Hoffa was taken from in 1975. I never talked to anyone for years as I figured the FBI would show up and question me. OH my and now they know.