Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

my first ice fishing trip

well it was ok till it got dark , walking back on ice in the dark with very little light and no ice cleets made for fun experience , we went to atwood new years day after hitting cabelas and getting me some ice fishing gear and my buddy baught a really nice ice shanty , we get out to atwood and the ice is slicker the snot , took me bout 5 minutes to walk 50 yards , so were sitting there my buddys are catching fish and im getting bites but cant seem to get a hook into one , so they are giving me ice fishing tutorials and were having fun, my buddy and i get the shanty set up cause wind picked up and it got down right cold , so we sit in there for lil bit and my lantern decides it wants to run out of fuel , we have enough fuel to make it back to the bank with a little light , well the water on top of the ice froze and made for a pretty tricky exit of the ice , i could not get traction worth a crap so my buddy pulled me back to shore on top of the ice shanty i did manage to get one pic while we were out there

there is four holes in the bottm of this ice shanty im sittin on top of the big hole and fishing out of the small hole , and its the opposite for the other side of the shanty , there is plenty of room in this thing it breaks down for easy storage , and it stayed around 60 degrees in this thing with just a lantern going

the temps are looking good for maybe a trip next weekend , the ice at atwood was ok , just not the safest even though there was 5 inchs of good clear ice , alot of cracks and i was told qiet ice is not good ice , we didnt hear one crack while being out there

A portable ice shelter will make all the difference in an ice fishing experience! :smiley_blink: I just stood on the ice, jigged and thought it was fun. However, after sitting inside a groundblind (my temporary ice shelter), in out of the cold, sitting in a chair, a propane heater on and being able to look down in the hole and see the fish...well, I'm definately an ice fishing freak, now. :smiley_crazy:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

badger

*Supporting Member*
A portable ice shelter will make all the difference in an ice fishing experience! :smiley_blink: I just stood on the ice, jigged and thought it was fun. However, after sitting inside a groundblind (my temporary ice shelter), in out of the cold, sitting in a chair, a propane heater on and being able to look down in the hole and see the fish...well, I'm definately an ice fishing freak, now. :smiley_crazy:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

I fished for years without a shanty and never thought I needed one. I would wear good layers and keep my back to the wind when possible. I was also more mobile without a shanty. If I didn't drop on to fish at my first spot, I had no problem drilling new holes and moving. Since buying my shanty a few years back I can't imagine fishing without one. Sure is nice being able to warm up while setting or pulling my tip-ups. But I'm pretty lazy when it comes to finding fish after my initial set up.

the good thing abut this shanty is it has a hard plastic floor , so if were not on fish , we just move stuff from the holes , pull , redrill and back at it , plus my buddy's like going out for days at a time , so there is plenty of room for small camp stove

badger

*Supporting Member*
the good thing abut this shanty is it has a hard plastic floor , so if were not on fish , we just move stuff from the holes , pull , redrill and back at it , plus my buddy's like going out for days at a time , so there is plenty of room for small camp stove

Make sure you anchor that shanty. Add some wind and clear ice to that plastic floor and you can go on one hell of an ice ride!