Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sales tax for out of State gun purchase

runway1

New to OH. If I buy a gun from GB or Bud's, does the FFL have to charge sales tax on the purchase price? Thanks all!

Lundy

You mean tax due is not collected it at the time of purchase. I'm sure you all list that purchase and pay the sales tax due when you do your taxes :D:D

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No tax due as long as the seller doesn't have a store in Ohio. Of course everyone lists out of state purchases on their Ohio Income Tax.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Not sure of this answer, but a few states have agreements with Ohio that they will collect Ohio state sales tax on mail order purchases. I think Illinois is one.

The way the question is asked is somewhat confusing. If he purchases a gun and its sent to an OHio FFL for the Transfer, the Ohio FFL should collect sales tax and would likely charge $25 or so for the paperwork.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not sure of this answer, but a few states have agreements with Ohio that they will collect Ohio state sales tax on mail order purchases. I think Illinois is one.

The way the question is asked is somewhat confusing. If he purchases a gun and its sent to an OHio FFL for the Transfer, the Ohio FFL should collect sales tax and would likely charge $25 or so for the paperwork.

The ohio FFL should only charge sales tax on the FFL transfer fee. Most do this on a flat rate like 20 or 25 bucks. If he paid the originating out of state shop for the gun that shop should not charge sales tax.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

I for one have never been charged sales tax on Illinois mail order gun purchases. Not sure on the transfer fee being charged sales tax as my FFL doesn't charge me any transfer fees.
Gun purchases made out of state are purchases made out of state and are not Ohio purchase sales.