Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Veterans Hunt Update

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
So the veterans hunt was an overall success. The point of this hunt is to get veterans out into the woods for some relaxation. I enjoy it mostly b/c I get to hang out with some people that I only get to see at this event. We had a total of 39 hunters. A total of 24 deer were harvested, last I heard. I was on a lone piece of property all by myself. My guide was the property owner. Nice guy, seemed very knowledgeable about the property and surroundings and hunting in general. He showed me a few pictures of his walls at home. Some absolute monsters. We got out there Saturday morning, and stayed out until around 11, came in for some chow. Headed back to the hotel to catch some of the Notre Dame game and took a quick nap. Went back out around 3. Didn't hear or see anything on Saturday. Back out Sunday morning. It was much colder Sunday than it was Saturday and we both had high hopes. Another long sit, with nothing to show for it. My guide has offered for me to come back and hunt any of his properties any time I like. I tried to hook up with Phil at some point over the weekend to no avail. It was a good weekend over all. I would like to have taken a buck, but there is always next year. A lot of smiles and new friendships over the weekend. I think that is way more important than the total # of kills. Thank you guys for all of the kind words of support.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Glad you had a good time and made a connection to gain some new property.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The percentage of harvests was impressive. BUT. . . this is unhunted ground that they were baiting. Dustin- you did it right. Getting skunked but doing it on private ground is how I would want to do it.