Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

which is better , pre rut , or peak rut?

Hogheadjeremy

Earth
New to this site, love it sofar😊😊😊 So the weather is changed since last Friday, and yesterday I saw a small 4 ptr chasing 3 does. Didn't get to the stand today (got my Jesus on, AMEN) my ? Is, will it be on hot and heavy this week or same as last week? I think here in Seneca county it will be on. I feel a big bruiser will be splayed tomorrow morning outta my stand!!! Lol any thoughts?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
This debate is a lot like the Chevy vs ford vs dodge debate lol... I like the pre because more searching going on vs peak rut and running into lock down.... Haven't seen either yet so who knows this year lol....

Hogheadjeremy

Earth
To be honest this is my 2cnd year bow hunting and I love it!!! Never been in the wood when peek rut as hit but, what lil I did see the other day was so cool. That lil 4 ptr was trying his best to score a touch down. Unfortunately I only get to hunt from 5 am till 11 am so I'm limited. I was reading another thread where you guys were talking highly of "smoking up" so I jumped on board and bought a smoker, those deer did not smell me at all. The buck came right behind my stand 5yds and the does 10yds in front. Hats off to ya fellows, great advice. So is the peek when the monsters show there faces? Seen 8 diff bucks but none over 8pts, and yes there are huge bucks where I hunt, seen them from a long distance away.

Gordo

Athens County
I think this week will be getting good, of course I thought that about the first week of November Lol.

Yeah man. This week is it. Ha

I'll stick with the old feast or famine bit for hunting in november. When it rains, it poors. Just gotta be there. Its different for every one/every place.

Kaiser878

ohio
I believe this year the peak was a week earlier than normal in my area. Movement seems to be inflated a little by these frosty mornings.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pre-rut or early portion of the rut is what i like. The seeking and getting into the chasing phase is exciting in my opinion. Lock down is the worst. I have found some of my best trail camera pictures of mature bucks to happen in mid-late November though. I think once the majority of breeding is done (in MY area) I find some mature bucks start to travel seeking the last of the hot does.

Every area is a bit different. Some of it depends on the buck to doe ratio. Some I would imagine changes with different terrains. Weather can play an impact. My point? We don't always get to have day after day of exciting chasing. Sometimes we never see it the entire season regardless to how much we hunt. Good luck!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The good time is here now in SW Ohio. Seen 4 bucks on Monday and 5 bucks on Tuesday just cruising around through the food plots looking for does. This week is my time of the year.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I am a fan of the second cycle. There are less does that are hot and the bucks seem to move a lot more searching for that last doe.

I've never hunted that late into season, tag out early and then chase rabbits....

Not the case this year, going too be chasing the into December more than likely....

Hogheadjeremy

Earth
I hunt where there is ALOT of deer, it's on a 40 acre ground.
I see a lot of LiL bucks but I can't get the monsters to come in yet. I figured with the rut and all they should all be cruising but so far no shooters:(:(:( plenty of action though. And yes I've seen MONSTERS HERE, but from a far distance while driving out.... So far I love the chasing part, it's so cool to watch those lil bucks go nuts!!! Lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I hunt where there is ALOT of deer, it's on a 40 acre ground.
I see a lot of LiL bucks but I can't get the monsters to come in yet. I figured with the rut and all they should all be cruising but so far no shooters:(:(:( plenty of action though. And yes I've seen MONSTERS HERE, but from a far distance while driving out.... So far I love the chasing part, it's so cool to watch those lil bucks go nuts!!! Lol

Always nice to have entertainment while waiting for something bigger too show up....