Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Old Axle.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Found this while walking up a draw in the woods yesterday. It looked like an old roadbed to me, just the way it sat and follows the creek reminded me of the old civil war roadbeds back home.

As I was walking my suspicion was confirmed. And old axle off a buggy or buckboard. It's a little small for a big wagon.

There used to be a church on the property somewhere. The church is long gone but a cemetery across the new blacktop road points to early 1800 to early 1900

Time to hit up the old plat maps and bust out metal detector.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447020888.681378.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447020915.032855.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Around that spot would be a good place to look. No telling what was dropped or left while repairing that wagon.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
On several locations of our property, old axles were mostly driven into the ground to mark property lines. It was common practice 50-100 years ago in the country.
Cool fine.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice find. But if that was a property boundary marker now the property is unmarked. LOL

On a serious note how about a separate Metal Detecting Forum being set up?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nice find. But if that was a property boundary marker now the property is unmarked. LOL

On a serious note how about a separate Metal Detecting Forum being set up?

It was laying alongside the roadbed and not near the boundary. I could just see the end sticking out from under the leaf litter. It would be cool to cut a section out and hammer a knife out if it. I will probably go back out there and drag it home to put it in the pile of good intentions. Which is basically shit I had cool ideas for but will probably never do anything with.

I'm not sure there's enough participation in metal detecting for its own separate forum. Would be cool if we did though.