Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 2015

Jamie

Ohio
this is first time I've picked up my .22 in several months. that's ten rounds, 35 yards with a rest at a 1" dot. I can live with that.
ready 1.jpg

I guess you'll have to trust me on this, but Lefty is REALLY ready to go.
ready 2.jpg

I need to shoot another deer or two, but I just gotta take a day off from the deer woods and get the dog out this week. can't stand it any longer.:)

Reactions: Boarhead

TomcatPC

Toledo
Have fun. Once I get past the next few days at school, I plan to get back in the woods and see if any Squirrels are lurking about...
Mark

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I was just telling my buddy how bad i want to get a deer so i can start on the squirrels lol. Made some squirrel gravy out of the last three i had in the freezer a few weeks back so i can't wait to get some more. Good luck!!!!

Jamie

Ohio
seemed logical to me that squirrel hunting in gale force winds would be more fun than holding on for dear life in a tree stand while waiting to kill something. we got after them on Friday the 13th for the first time this season, had a pretty good day in spite of the 25mph winds, gusting to 40 here in central ahia. squirrels moving good enough for Lefty to tree 8 for me, plus a couple of dens. four went to the game bag, four got away. two in one tree that I could not find until one bailed out just as we gave up looking and started to leave the tree. squirrel hitting the ground from 40 feet up in a tree sounds like a hedgeapple hitting from the same distance and it's pretty loud. got to watch that one run up another tree into a hole and other squirrel in the tree ran into a large hole in the tree he was in. I totally goofed on that one by giving up too easily as it was a medium sized hickory tree with a large den hole in it. the other two got waaay up in the skinny limbs in the tops of two big red oaks, one of which still holding lots of leaves, which complicates the matter of shooting them even further. very hard to hit squirrel swaying, quite literally, five feet in either direction in 25-30mph winds. eventually, after missing them nearly ten times each, they timbered out and found holes real fast. dog didn't miss a beat. found the meat and stayed treed solid, stayed with every one that timbered out until they found a hole. handler, however, needs to get his shit together. should have had a limit. :(

here's the first two, Lefty, being the little friggin' prima donna that he is, not cooperating in the slightest with having his picture taken. ;)
first hunt 11-13.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
my enthusiasm for deer hunting is at all time low. after deer hunting 33 of the last 37 days, I just could not force myself to climb into a treestand again yesterday. was a damn fine day for squirrel hunting, though. dog done me proud, I poked their eyes out. big fun in the squirrel woods yesterday. we had our limit by lunch time. need to polish Lefty's behavior on trees a little bit, but he sure can find them.

first four
11-25-15 d.jpg

11-25-15 a.jpg11-25-15 b.jpg11-25-15 c.jpg

last two
11-25-15.jpg

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Looks like you had a great day!
I know how ya feel,after that many days deer hunting it will wear on you but stick with it,you will get it done.
Pulled 16 all day sits this yr before i took one.
Good luck out there in the tree and with Lefty!

Jamie

Ohio
he still occasionally wants to wander off of a tree that he has committed to. seems like he does it mostly when there is obvious den or nest and I don't see a squirrel. I think that he is so tree-minded that he'll still open up on a tree that he isn't completely sure of, which is somewhat a matter of experience. he's doing it less and less since I make it a priority to force him to stay on a tree that he is committed to until I pull him off of it. he does not like it when I make him stay on a tree that he fucked up on. I can tell very easily now when he doesn't want to stay on a tree. very important that he does not leave a tree until I tell him to once he has committed and is barking "treed". I never go to him until I'm convinced he is committed, and once committed, he must stay on it until I pull him off or shoot the squirrel.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
he still occasionally wants to wander off of a tree that he has committed to. seems like he does it mostly when there is obvious den or nest and I don't see a squirrel. I think that he is so tree-minded that he'll still open up on a tree that he isn't completely sure of, which is somewhat a matter of experience. he's doing it less and less since I make it a priority to force him to stay on a tree that he is committed to until I pull him off of it. he does not like it when I make him stay on a tree that he fucked up on. I can tell very easily now when he doesn't want to stay on a tree. very important that he does not leave a tree until I tell him to once he has committed and is barking "treed". I never go to him until I'm convinced he is committed, and once committed, he must stay on it until I pull him off or shoot the squirrel.

Being ignorant too treeing dogs, how do you keep him on a tree? Put him on a lead and pin him? Or just make him sit there till you release him?

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Great stuff!!!! Know how ya feel on the deer hunting. Sit number 19 is tomorrow morning. Bet if I was in the woods with my squirrel rifle the deer would be running me over lol.