Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bass Pro Shops Considering Purchase of Cabela's ?!?

fishwendel2

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1608085-bass-pro-shops-considering-major-purchase
Fishing tackle retail giant is exploring a move to buy one of its largest competitors.

According to Fishing Tackle Retailer, Reuters is reporting that Bass Pro Shops is considering the purchase of Cabela’s.
People “familiar with the matter” are reporting that the retail giant is currently working with an investment bank on a potential offer. This comes after reports of Cabela’s exploring its possible options. Both parties have declined to comment on the matter, but a 13-percent hike in Cabela’s stocks has occured since the news broke.
Forbes estimates Bass Pro Shops founder Johnny Morris to be worth $4.1 billion, with Bass Pro Shops earning over $4 billion in revenue last year and employing approximately 20,000 individuals in 94 retail stores. Cabela’s reported $1.2 billion in revenue last year and operates 77 retail stores.
We’ll update this story with additional details as they’re made known. If a deal is made, it would certainly be an enormous shake-up in the retail fishing tackle industry.

Can you say McDonalds buying Burger King?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Gotta say I'm not a fan of this happening.... I like competition.... And this isn't helping it whatsoever.....

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Bass pro sucks compared to cabelas . Redhead brand is cheap Crap compared to cabelas brand , plus cabelas offers better products and pricing

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Bass pro needed too stay the course of the fisherman but saw the hunting dollars and went for that market as well....

For the bass/walleye fishing world they're a good fit and offer some good items that allow one stop shopping....

But I shop both and cabelas gets more of money as of late.....

fishwendel2

Since they have opened the Field and Stream stores here in Columbus (one right next to Cabelas) I have found myself slowing not shopping at Cabelas. I do agree the Cabelas "brand" is better than the Redhead stuff. It sure would make for some interesting discussion on what stores to keep open and what ones to close.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would hate to that this happen. I was surprised at the annual sales though. Pass Pro only has about 20% more stores but does almost 4 times the sales.

teej89

NE PA
wow that'd be terrible.... Bass Pro blows, I shopped with them 3yrs ago and that was the last time. I'd say cabelas is the only decent store left. Field and stream is just outright awful too.

Wmiller07

That would suck. Personally I like fin feather fur. Their prices blow all the large stores out of the water.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It doesn't matter. Instead of two companies selling overpriced shit, there will be one company selling overpriced shit. There's no competition anyway as they're both in cahoots for price-fixing.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It doesn't matter. Instead of two companies selling overpriced shit, there will be one company selling overpriced shit. There's no competition anyway as they're both in cahoots for price-fixing.

Might be in cahoots too a certain extent but can't see them in lock step all the time....

I wonder if this would have too go thru regulators of some sort for forming a monopoly??

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was trying to get the Cabelas Outfitter series windproof fleece jacket and pants last year on sale, got the jacket, but the pants I couldn't get. I bought the Redhead 1856 pants, which are the Chevy to GM comparison of the Cabelas stuff. The Bass Pro pants are junk. I should have sent them back, but for the price, they can be waterfowl pants.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was trying to get the Cabelas Outfitter series windproof fleece jacket and pants last year on sale, got the jacket, but the pants I couldn't get. I bought the Redhead 1856 pants, which are the Chevy to GM comparison of the Cabelas stuff. The Bass Pro pants are junk. I should have sent them back, but for the price, they can be waterfowl pants.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446848354.734555.jpg

Similar too this Jesse? I've been looking at hem and wondering how warm they were???