Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Safety Harness?

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I wasn't sure where I should start this thread so I put it here. I'm sure a lot of you have read about my fall. This has me thinking of upgrading my safety equipment and adding some more. I use a Hunter Safety System vest style harness. The buckles drive me crazy with the sounds they sometimes make when hitting against anything. I do like the pockets for easy access to calls, range finder, phone, etc. But you can't use your pants pockets easily because of the leg straps. I'm curious what others use and their thoughts on their gear. I'm looking for ease of use (I get dressed at the tree a lot), effectiveness and quiet. I doubt I can get back in a tree this year but things are going to be upgraded for 2016.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Muddy Safeguard. There is no comparison with other harnesses IMO as this is the best harness on the market. Mine is now 5 years old and will need to be replaced for next season only because that's what they recommend. It's still in great shape after hours and hours of use, and a good 100+ treestand hangs. They are lightweight, comfortable and the lineman's rope is the cat's ass.

http://www.gomuddy.com/product/the-safeguard/

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll check tonight, but I think it's a Large and it's plenty big. I'm 6'1" 220lbs and have been as heavy as 240 and still had room in the harness.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Large here.

6' 250

Seems like they size them for height only because I could gain 200 more pounds and still fit.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Another shout to muddy here. Travis and I both use one. They're by far the best I've seen for lightweight and not bulky. We both use a large also.

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio
I need a short guys opinion. LOL all you guys are over 6'. IM sure a large would still be just fine.

To maybe save you a little trouble -- I have an older version of this Muddy (when it was the Big Game brand) and at 5'9" and 175 lbs I have it cinched as tight as it can go to fit me. It's a great harness but I wouldn't recommend it w/o trying it on for anyone shorter than 5'9"...

http://www.gomuddy.com/product/the-diamondback/

Milo

Tatonka guide.
if you guys have an old harness, i suggest to strap one on and suspend yourself from one. its one thing to break teh fall, but the harness can and will hurt you. it will beat the alternative obviously but your nuts will thank you later. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO USE YOUR SUSPENSION RELIEF STRAP!!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
if you guys have an old harness, i suggest to strap one on and suspend yourself from one. its one thing to break teh fall, but the harness can and will hurt you. it will beat the alternative obviously but your nuts will thank you later. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO USE YOUR SUSPENSION RELIEF STRAP!!!

I really should carry that thing. The stupid pouch they give you for it is, well, stupid.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great suggestion Milo. I bought my son one at the Expo a couple years ago. Tree Spider. It appears very similar to the Muddy. Heck, they all look pretty similar. Personally, I really like the pockets on my HSS Vest. This along with cargo pockets allowed me to NOT carry a backpack or fanny pack in all season so far.