Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New to TOO / Ohio Hunting

Skas

What’s up TOO. Another Out of Stater thinking of making the drive over to Ohio for some bow hunting. I am from the great state of PA (Let’s go Bucs!) and was lucky enough to arrow a nice 8-pointer on 10/30/15 outside of Pittsburgh.

I have been doing some research online and found this forum to be the best one for whitetail information/good old fashion banter. I figure this should be a good place to throw out some questions/look for advice.

I have vacation coming up on the 6th to 16th and was looking to make the drive to Ohio (Southern Monroe County area) since I am tagged out in PA. A friends aunt has a cattle farm down in Benton Township, Monroe County with about 200 acres between woods and hay fields (see photo below). This is also surrounded by about 100 or more acres of USA gov land. I visited the farm about 4 years ago to hunt and was shocked at the topography of this region (reminds me of hunting the mountains of PA). I never got around to hunting though the land owner keeps telling me to come down as she is tired of hitting them with her car.

Now that I have some time off coming up I am wondering if it’s worth coming down for a 5 or 7 day hunt. How is the deer population in the region? I know from my personal experience in PA it can vary greatly by region and even townships. In Allegheny county if I don’t see a deer it’s a bad day, but up in the mountains seeing 2 deer is a great day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I try and decide if I should drive down and scout on Friday to try and hunt Saturday thru Thursday.

Here is a topo and a satellite image of the area. BTW Ohio is awesome on MyTopo.com showing land owners + terrain.

Capture.jpg
ohio sat.JPG

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Welcome to the forum.

You won't know if it's worth it if you don't make trip! Can't say much about the population of that area, but the entire state is down somewhat in just about all areas.

First place I'd go is the saddle on the USA tract where it adjoins the private ground.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Jesse. You won't know unless you come try it. If I had the opportunity, the time, and the money to do it. . . I would travel to another state without hesitation. It would be worth it simply for the challenge.

Isaacorps

Columbus
You never forget your first lol. Those maps look like there's a good mix of terrain with some nice pinch points and travel corridors. Best of luck!

Ohioal

Can't believe your even debating with yourself about this situation. There are guys in this country who would give up their right arm for an opportunity like yours. I would get in the car as soon as possible and go shiahkabob one. By the way welcome and good luck

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Can't believe your even debating with yourself about this situation. There are guys in this country who would give up their right arm for an opportunity like yours. I would get in the car as soon as possible and go shiahkabob one. By the way welcome and good luck

What he said! Private land that isn't overpressured is a rare commodity in Ohio. If you spend he time it may pay off big time.

Skas

What he said! Private land that isn't overpressured is a rare commodity in Ohio. If you spend he time it may pay off big time.

Thanks guys. I'm excited for the challenge.

From what I remember there wasn't any crop fields around. Most fields were for hay. Anyone have advice for hunting hay fields?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks guys. I'm excited for the challenge.

From what I remember there wasn't any crop fields around. Most fields were for hay. Anyone have advice for hunting hay fields?

Inside corners, also look for mast that would drop the nuts in the hay field....

HighHopes

Hello and welcome. Please tell me more about how/where you got such great maps with owner info. What software/app are you using?
thanks