Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote question in the bow hunting forum.

Davis13

With several of you guys putting several hours in the field via camera or hunting I have a few question for ya. How many coyote sightings do you average a season while in the stand? Do you have more sighting during gun season? And finally do you get several on your trail cameras? Thanks for any responses, also I'm in Washington County in anyone has more info closer to home.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
In in Washington County as well. I see about one yote a season while bowhunting and maybe one during gun season depending on how much driving we do. I had a one week spurt the first week of October where I got coyotes on cam every single day in daylight, then they disappeared. I saw some scat this weekend and heard a pup yelping, but they are avoiding the cams, all 6 of them. My main inventory cam sits in our creek bottom and that's where they like to run, so if they are there, I get pics. My honest opinion is the coyote population is down a little and I contribute that to the lower deer numbers.

Welcome!! In Meigs Co. I probably get in at the most 10-15 days of hunting per season in years past. Of that time last year was the first year I saw one in stand and missed with my bow. Get them very regularly, maybe every other day, on trail cams and that's 6-8 cameras over about 170 acres.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The farm I hunt in stark county is overpopulated with yotes. I hunted last Saturday evening and on my way out I heard what sounded like a half dozen going off about 100 yards from me. I caught 5 off that farm this past winter, time to kill more. The crazy thing is I see more deer on that farm than I do on the other farms I hunt.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I seen coyote each season either during spring turkey of deer season. This year I seen 3 in a pack out of bow range.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I see one or two a season.... Mostly while on stand bow hunting....

Farm I'm hunting this season has some too the SW of it as I hear them about a half mile away almost every night I'm hunting there..... Which is about every night.... The neighbors blue healer goes nuts when he hears them....

Flatlander

Darby Creek
We are ate up with them in central Ohio. We usually kill 3 or 4 with our bows each year and see or hear them on a weekly basis. I posted about the black one I saw a few nights ago and the very next night ended up killing one at 65 yards while I was walking to the stand. Bastard jumped up from a field I was walkin in and stood broadside at 65 so I thought what the hell, I'll try it! Cha Ching......he won't do that again!

Roger_Greaser

I actually have been hunting southern wv hard this year, I want a mountain buck. I have never seen this many coyotes. I had a pack of 5 come in and shot 2 of them and the next weekend I shot another one that was chasing a buck. uploadfromtaptalk1446686294081.jpg all bow kills

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
We are ate up with them in central Ohio. We usually kill 3 or 4 with our bows each year and see or hear them on a weekly basis. I posted about the black one I saw a few nights ago and the very next night ended up killing one at 65 yards while I was walking to the stand. Bastard jumped up from a field I was walkin in and stood broadside at 65 so I thought what the hell, I'll try it! Cha Ching......he won't do that again!

Awesome Shot Jim! You must be shooting that Hoyt a lot buddy!
Good luck this season brotha!