Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's 2015 buck

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been very fortunate the last two years and knew matching or topping it would be near impossible. Time has been limited between work and kids. Wanted to focus on getting my son his first deer. I entered the season rather unprepared on my end. I decided it is exactly what I needed. Cruise into the season and simply enjoy it. If something comes along and trips my trigger, then I would fill a tag. I ran trail cameras on my property as I always do. Got the most mature buck on camera I have ever seen: a 2.5yr old. My property just doesn't pull them in. On one of my "go to" properties, the camera checks were disappointing. Just no real big deer all summer. Even late last week, it just wasn't producing. Another property I never hung a camera. I cut my teeth on that property and know it fairly well. I generally don't get big bucks in there until the second half of November, but I did see some crazy rubs in there last night. The last property I hunt is one I picked up recently. No cameras. Just hunting sign much like the other property I didn't hang a camera this year. It was going to be the year of "old school" and just enjoying it.

So this morning was the second hunt in this stand. I know there are big bucks in the area, but hadn't seen one yet this season. I had hunted some other stands on the property this year, but this was the second on this particular set. I bumped 2 different deer walking in this morning in the dark. I settled into the stand and waited. Light was breaking and I saw no deer. At 7am I let a rattling sequence rip. After 15min standing up with bow in hand, I sat back down. At 722 I heard something behind me. I look to see a decent buck through the trees. He was standing on his hind quarters working a licking branch. Couldn't see him real well but his right side was cool looking. Dropped the binoculars and hooked my release. I still wasn't sure but he was working my way. He came into full view and I thought his rack was pretty cool. Then I sized up his body: 3.5yr old. Ugh. I really wanted to hold out for a 4yr old or older buck. Then I heard the voice in my head say "Just enjoy it. If one trips your trigger, then shoot him." So I gave him the ol' Mrrraaaap to stop him. He stopped and looked alright but it was about 2-3 steps too late. He is just looking and I am finding the vitals through my peep site. I had a small window to shoot through and have been practicing a lot this year. I took the shot and it clipped a branch. I heard the dreaded "thump" sound rather than "thwack." He ran 20yds and slowed to a walk. I watched through the binoculars until I couldn't see him.

30min to an hour later I heard serious movement from his direction. Two does took off from the area I last saw him and they were getting the heck out of there. Then I saw a young buck following them but he stopped and headed back to the spot I last saw my buck. Then he quickly took off again. Then he headed back to where I last saw him and milled around sniffing. He finally walked off and 30yds away he raked a sapling. I was confident my buck was laying there dead and had these deer buggered up. I got down to check my arrow.

The arrow revealed brownish colored blood. Liver shot. Good explanation for 20yd run followed up by slow walk after the hit. I was going to back out but looked through my binoculars first to scour the floor of the woods. There he lay! His head was down and I thought for sure he was dead. I still crept in as if he were alive. I just wasn't sure. I could see steam and wasn't sure if it was his breath or steam from the holes I poked in him. I continued to glass him and took a step at a time whenever the squirrels moved. I got within 40yds feeling more confident he was dead when he lifted his head. Now what? I took my boots off and kept creeping in there. I got to 35yds over several minutes and he stood up. No shot offered as he was facing me, but he didn't go far. He laid back down and dropped his head to the ground. I could still see his breath. Now I am in my socks inching closer over an unknown time period. He stood up again and went a few more steps but lay down broadside this time. By now I am 25yds away due to my stalk and where he was bedding. His back was to me so I was able to get a few more steps to close the distance to 20yds. I decided it was now or never. I let another arrow fly and it went right thru his spine. His tail flickered a half dozen times or so, his feet shuffled for maybe a second, and his head fell for the last time.

The rest of the day was busy since it was warm today. I never took measurements. We did weigh him in at 175lbs field dressed. We did snap a handful of pictures though and I got him in the coolers. Big thanks go out to Mike R and Slushdog for giving me a hand loading him up and dragging him out! Greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good stuff there Phil.... Congrats on a nice buck with character.... Just like the guy who shot him.... lol