Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Recent pictures... July-August

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Great looking pics man. Looks like you will have plenty of deer in the future as well :D.

Something I am trying this year is to smash up my mineral block. The deer I had coming to it was afraid of the big block and wouldn't touch it. I would move the block and they would dig holes where the block was to get to the dirt. Then after I smashed it all up I heard the mineral blocks actually burn the deers tongue and thats why they wouldn't touch it. Have you noticed anything with your mineral blocks ?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great looking pics man. Looks like you will have plenty of deer in the future as well :D.

Something I am trying this year is to smash up my mineral block. The deer I had coming to it was afraid of the big block and wouldn't touch it. I would move the block and they would dig holes where the block was to get to the dirt. Then after I smashed it all up I heard the mineral blocks actually burn the deers tongue and thats why they wouldn't touch it. Have you noticed anything with your mineral blocks ?

Actually, I was going to mention that from all of the pics I've gotten it's easy to see that the deer prefer the mineral block over the regular salt block. It's not like they don't touch the salt block at all, but they noticeably go for the mineral first. I got the blocks at TSC... I forget what the mineral block is called, but I do know I got the one without selenium.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Actually, I was going to mention that from all of the pics I've gotten it's easy to see that the deer prefer the mineral block over the regular salt block. It's not like they don't touch the salt block at all, but they noticeably go for the mineral first. I got the blocks at TSC... I forget what the mineral block is called, but I do know I got the one without selenium.

That's the same kind of Trace Mineral Block I got at the co-op. It was a 50# block and cost me something like $9
My deer around here just seem to like it better when it has soaked into the ground rather then straight off the block. just wondered if you have tried crushing it and mixing it in the dirt or diluting it with water and pouring it on the ground.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's the same kind of Trace Mineral Block I got at the co-op. It was a 50# block and cost me something like $9
My deer around here just seem to like it better when it has soaked into the ground rather then straight off the block. just wondered if you have tried crushing it and mixing it in the dirt or diluting it with water and pouring it on the ground.

I have not tried crushing it or mixing it with water. This is the first time I've bought one of the mineral blocks so I don't have much experience with them. The deer haven't seemed to mind licking the block itself. I didn't notice that that are pawing the ground around it though. What really surprised me was the number of raccoons that came to the salt and mineral block. They were on it about every other night!... even during the daytime!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just started using some of these last year. I try to set them on tree stumps. Once it is dissolved, you will see deer pawing at the ground around the stump and actually trying to eat the stump too! They love these things.