Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doe with the Widow

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I did a small write up on the iks thread Milo started thursday but figured i should do a short write up in the Traditional bowsite.
I made it out Saturday morning and my intentions were to try and shoot a big doe before Halloween if given the opportunity.
Well i saw several at first light but no shots taken,then a couple hours later several more doe came through and i had one really big one right under my stand, after a few minutes she moved off and at 15 yds i drew the recurve back and picked a spot and sent the 150 grain wensel woodsman on it's way, i just switched to a heavier head after shooting with Taylor at the Strouds outing and shooting his heavy Broadheads and they really improved my shooting.
The shot hit perfect behind her shoulder and i could see the white fletching sticking out as she ran off with blood already pumping out! Man was i excited to know she probably wouldn't go far.
After a 40 minute wait i climbed down and took up a heavy blood trail, uploadfromtaptalk1446326234617.jpg My buddy Tommy met up with me and a little ways further we found part of my arrow.uploadfromtaptalk1446326212751.jpgAfter about 60 yds i looked out in a picked bean field and saw several buzzards on the ground and realized they were already on my deer.
I ran them off and they must have just gotten there as they only had time to pluck one eye out.Kinda weird to go u and see this looking at you.loluploadfromtaptalk1446326490053.jpg She was a really old doe and made for a great morning and will put lots of meat in the freezer.
I took up hunting with a recurve last year and this is my third kill with my 47 # Black Widow bow which i am very happy that all the practice is paying off.
While gutting her the shot went through her lungs and the broadhead was stuck right through the center of her heart,hard to believe she still ran 120 to 130 yds.
uploadfromtaptalk1446327137211.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446327150526.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446327185567.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446327206777.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446327224441.jpg
Now on to buck hunting.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great stuff all around buddy!!! The way you have gone about taking in the challenge of hunting with trad equipment is very admirable! With the help from veterans here on this site and other sources and to apply the dedication in practicing is very commendable!

Kudos brotha!!! You and the others on TOO have Ron and I both wanting to try this badly! Keep on keepin Brian! Your dedication is paying off BIGTIME! Good luck on filling your buck tag! If one comes inside 30, he's toast!

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
Congrats, Brian. nicely done. there is really nothing quite like the exhilaration of a nice double lung/heart shot at close range. :smiley_boogie: