Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wondering if someone could help out?

afhunter

Hello, I am stationed in CA and coming back to OH for Christmas this year. I will be in NE OH for a couple days (21 and 22) Dec before the rest of my family gets into town. I plan on bringing my bow with me and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for deer hunting. Whether public or private land, don't have anytime to scout so any help would be great. Not looking to harvest a B&C buck. Would be more than happy with a doe. It would be for me and my brother who plans on coming in the same time I do. Thanks!

afhunter

I am staying in Trumbull Co but I don't care where I hunt. Will travel for deer...lol. Biggest issue is no time to scout.

rsmith

Google maps would be ideal. Topo maps to find natural pinch points or ridges along with a satellite map to see where some good timber would be at would be my suggestion. It's the same with everyone who asks about public land, Get back deep and near the thick early. Also thank you for your service!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
First off, we all appreciate your service!

I'm not familiar with that part of the state, but I do know the Ohio DNR website is a great tool for finding public hunting ground. Maybe someone from that area can comment on the acorn crop. If it was pretty good, you can try to find a good oak flat to set up on.

Good luck and have a safe trip.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I am staying in Trumbull Co but I don't care where I hunt. Will travel for deer...lol. Biggest issue is no time to scout.

There's a couple of guys up your way, they can point out some decent public land around mosquito lake/grand river area.....

If you're not from around here, and not used too winter deer hunting, plan on stocking up on warm clothing and some hand warmers.... Could be cold or could be in the 50's lol.... That's just Ohio for you.... lol

Oh and welcome too the site, there's a section on introductions you can tell us a little about yourself.....

afhunter

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Shenango Area on maps today and found some areas that may be ok. Trying to stay out of the bigger areas. I did find out Grand River had a pretty bad deer count this year. Gonna keep working some more on maps but anymore info would be great!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Late December the deer will be calmed down somewhat after gum season the first week of December ....

Mostly early morning and late afternoon hunts but if a fronts moving thru you can catch them midday up on their feet....

rsmith

I'm in Geauga County, never hunted public land around here I wish I could help more than just saying hit the maps. But what I can say is the acorn crop was pretty good this year, not like last year's crazy huge but I pretty good amount of acorns are on the ground. Hambden Orchard and Aulburn wildlife area are good spots from the scouting around I did there in the summer. They get hammered though because it's close to mentor and the other cities so people flood to it. Hambden would be a great spot to get tucked back up into. But they both have 2 huge ponds on each of them so you got to try and find a decent patch of woods. If you want to do some waterfowl either of those look good! Hope that helped a little more

afhunter

I love waterfowl hunting but believe it or not it is amazing here in CA. However, deer here, not so much unless you draw a tag. I am hoping to get on some private land close to my folks but that is 50/50 chance.

Bigcountry40

The 28th of December is a two day gun hunt state wide. If you could be here for that, chances of killing a deer increase greatly, especially on state land.

afhunter

Heart Broken! Someone come through with a spot for me and just got an email today that we can't hunt it because they want to hunt the big buck that is on the property those days! Now back to square one. Anyone still out there that may be able to help!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Time to start scouting public land and be willing to put rubber to road, and boot leather to leaves. Sorry to hear about the bad luck, but there's still ample opportunity to get out those 2 days.

afhunter

Yeah I think I may try Shenango. Got some good info on maps about the place. Anyone know the deer numbers there?