Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Decoy Placement?

Every video that I've seen on deer decoy placement, they're always out in the open.

Unless, I miss my guess, this is to keep from surprising/spooking the deer. Apparently, it's best to set up a decoy in a location that it can be seen from some distance...even if it's inside the woods. I've had my share of reactions from deer with decoys and more of them good reactions than bad ones.

I've always faced the buck decoy towards my location, because I've been told that an approaching buck will want to face the intruder.
Using a doe decoy, I face it away from my location, because I've been told that and approaching buck will want to come up behind her...hoping for a breeding chance.

Do you use a deer decoy?
Buck or Doe? * Reason for your choice?
Is the decoy facing you or away from you?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have a boss buck hanging in the barn too. I've only used it twice. First time was pretty cool with a 135 9 point coming in to it. No responses on the second try. I just hate toting the thing to the woods.

Anyone want to buy it?

Sounds like you set yours up the same way I've learned. I've used a decoy a few times now and have had mixed results. Does can come unglued due to it's lack of movement (that's what I assume is the reason). Only had a small buck one time come in to it. I will keep giving it a try however I'm like the others, I hate toting it into the woods to use. Big, heavy with a bow in one hand and it over the shoulder in another, noisy to set up at times, I always worry about all the scent I'm leaving on it even after spraying it down after set-up, etc..

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have a boss buck hanging in the barn too. I've only used it twice. First time was pretty cool with a 135 9 point coming in to it. No responses on the second try. I just hate toting the thing to the woods.

Anyone want to buy it?

I'll give ya a pizza for it....

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Never use one again,way too many mixed results.
Great when it works but sucks when it spooks a big one and the doe deer just dont like em.
Plus a pain in the ass to haul around unless you leave it out.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I tired a doe decoy one time last year during the rut and the does went unglued and kept stomping their foot and blowing. A small forkhorn did come close and circle it but didn't much like. I have a horn set to install on it and may try again and may not.
Maybe it's the 7 44 caliber holes shot in it but that's a story for another time.

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Buck decoy, facing so that when a buck would come up to his face I would have a good broadside shot. I enjoy playing around with decoys... depends on the terrain you hunt, open fields I like to use them because it gives them something to look at..takes the eyes off of you and gives them a reason to come into range... I had bucky jr. out the other night and decided to leave him up for a morning hunt.... here is a trail cam picture of what happened next...
buck jr (49).jpg

As you can guess, the next picture is of him in pieces

Last edited: