Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dumb questions from a first time hunter....

TomcatPC

Toledo
Hello
Some of you might have seen my post about going small game hunting for the first time here in Ohio.
Anyway, I'm 44 and grew up with a Dad who had stopped hunting way before I was thought about. He had had enough of firearms and hunting in the Depression and in The War, and put his gun away sometime in the 50's (I have it by the way, but that is another story). So...whilst he had no real problem with me getting a .22 as a teen and shooting cans, etc. in the country...he never took me hunting...knowing his background, I never forced the issue. I understood his reasons...

So...never having had the upbringing with hunting. I decided to have a go at now. I have had a Hunting License once when I lived in Alaska and my neighbour and I took out Lee-Enfield Rifles out and walked around the mud on the Kenai Penisula looking for a Moose...that never showed up LOL.

I have had a Hunting Lic. before, but never here in Ohio. I have not taken the hunter safety class, since I had a previous license in Alaska.
When it comes to safety and being around firearms...that was instilled in me as a child, even with cap guns... When it comes to knowing where the muzzle is pointed, keeping a round out of the chamber until ready, etc. that I trust myself with. If the US Navy can trust me to make sure a Tomcat is ready to fly and be safe around it...firearms safety I think I have no problems.

The dumb questions I have concerning hunting here are things like....

1. Do I have to have my Hunting license on the back of my jacket?, or just have it on me?
I remember seeing my Dad's hunting jacket from the 30's or 40's and could have sworn he had his license on the back. I've looked through the booklet, but did not see anything...maybe I missed it? Thought I'd ask anyway.

2. Going for squirrel. I think it said any shotgun is legal and I plan on my 50's H&R 16 Ga. single shot. But I could have sworn it also said any pistol cal. as well?
I'd like to take along my Colt Police Positive .32 Revolver with me. I don't have the Concealed Lic. yet, but is it legal to carry it openly on my belt?...or is that just asking for legal trouble?

3. Wearing orange...if I read this right, that is only for when Deer Gun Season is on?

That is all I can think of for now.
Yes...I have the regulation booklet, yes I have read though it, but thought I'd ask anyway. I do have dyslexia and sometimes I can totally misread something very simple...
Thanks
Mark

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck and be safe.
License only needs to be on your person.
Hunter orange not required unless during deer gun season.
No comment on the pistol on your person. No loaded firearms in a vehicle. Best to have firearm unloaded in the trunk.

Oh forgot to mention 'the only dumb question is one that isn't asked'.

TomcatPC

Toledo
I knew about no loaded firearms in a vehicle. Never carry loaded firearms in my car, plus I keep the ammo in the car and firearms in the trunk. Not going to load either revolver or shotgun until I get well into the woods.
No orange...not a problem either way, glad I know now, and looks like I was on the right path as to that too.
License will be with me and not on outside jacket.
Thanks
Mark

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Not to beat a dead horse, but the "hunters safety course" isn't just about gun safety. It's more of a hunters education class. A lot of the questions you have will be answered in the course. Taking a kid to do the class is fun, and gives you the opportunity to sit in jt yourself.

I didn't start hunting until I was in my late 30s. Had to teach myself. I shortened my learning curve a lot by picking up some dvd's and books, beginning hunters can benefit a lot from some of the outdoors magazines. (You'll find that after a couple years the articles will repeat themselves) and of course, asking questions on Internet forums. (This one)

One thing about your questions. Orange isn't required, but if you are going to be in the woods hunting squirrel during deer season, avoid wearing anything tan. Don't want to be mistaken for a deer. Stranger things have happened.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
You should feel comfortable here. There is a wealth of knowledge here and questions such as these are welcome. I wish you luck this season!

Diablo54

Outside
Your license just needs to be in your pocket.

No Orange is required. However if you are on public land an orange cap could be handy. But nit necessary.

Your shotgun is perfect for squirrels.

To avoid any conflict I wouldn't take the pistol.

Walk slow and listen for squirrels cutting nuts.

Enjoy yourself and be safe.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I will agree with everyone, hunter's ed is a great thing to go through. I took it sometime in the 1970's for the first time, and have gone through it with three kids. It is not a waste of time, it's even enjoyable!

I do not think you are allowed to carry two weapons to hunt critters. The law was black and white on that until concealed carry became and issue. One gun or bow at a time. Since then, I think it's changed to where you are allowed to have your concealed gun, but you are not allowed to have two hunting implements.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
The concealed handgun license issued per Ohio Revised Code
sections 2923.123 and 2923.125 allows you to carry a handgun
concealed in Ohio. This includes while in the act of hunting, as
regulated per Ohio Revised Code 1531.02
HUNTERS WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE
MAY:

Carry a concealed handgun while training or working
dogs for furbearers during the closed season.

Carry more than one firearm while deer hunting; as long
as one meets the requirements for the concealed handgun
license.

Carry a concealed handgun while hunting during the deer
archery season.

Carry a concealed hangun while hunting deer during
the special area muzzleloader season and the statewide
muzzleloader season.

Carry a concealed handgun during the spring and fall
turkey seasons.
HUNTERS WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE
MAY NOT:

Hunt a wild animal with a handgun carried under the
concealed carry license.

Carry concealed their hunting implement: the hunting
implement must be worn on the outermost garment

IF YOU ARE CARRYING A CONCEALED HANDGUN
AND ARE STOPPED BY A WILDLIFE OFFICER, OHIO LAW
REQUIRES YOU TO ANNOUNCE TO THE OFFICER THAT
YOU ARE A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE HOLDER
AND ARE CARRYING YOUR HANDGUN

Last edited:

TomcatPC

Toledo
Looks like the Colt stays home...
Reading the legal stuff makes me more confused...I guess having a concealed carry permit is the way to go? Wonder how difficult it is to get one of those? I'm not a policeman or really have a "need" to prove that I have to have a concealed carry permit...so going to the police to ask permission to get one might be difficult for me?
I know if this were Alaska...this would be no big deal?
I was under the impression that is was (technically*) legal to openly carry a sidearm here?...but having a shotgun makes that nil? Looks like it is just a 16 Ga. tomorrow?
Mark

*Whilst it might be technically legal, I would not openly carry a sidearm in city limits...I'm fairly certain someone would ring the police on me and I'd get arrested for causing panic or something legal like that?

Last edited:

TomcatPC

Toledo
Am I allowed to hunt without taking the course?...I do have my license and did not lie when I got it, I did have a hunting license in Alaska, and did ask about it when I got mine here last week. I was planning on going tomorrow...should I not go now?
Mark

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to see you asking questions. I agree fully on the hunter education course. Firearm safety is a must, but hunter education course will be a great value as well. Orange during gun season is correct. To be real honest with you, I would avoid squirrel hunting during deer gun season. Tends to be a lot of "hunters" come out of the wood work during gun season. They don't always take well to a guy wandering around the woods bumping deer who is looking for a squirrel or three or four. For your own safety, I would recommend against it. Gun season brings out the a-hole in some people. Hate to type this out loud on a public forum. It is true though and I would hate to see you in a conflict with an irrational jerk.

You are 44? Your dad lived through the depression? Didn't think this was possible. Kudos to your dad for being verile later in life. lmao

Thanks for your service to our country and your fathers!

Concealed carry permit is another course in itself. You do not need a reason to get it. You can simply wish to carry concealed. . . take and pass the course. . .apply for permit.

In regards to weapons? You may only carry one weapon to hunt with at a time. IF you had your concealed carry permit, you would not be allowed to hunt with it and it would have to be. . . .wait for it. . . .concealed. lmao

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A hunting license from another state permitted it OK to buy a Ohio license. Go hunting.But like others said a Sfety Course is worth while.
Getting a CCW (concealed carry weapon) is not difficult. Just to a google search for CCW instructors in your area, take the course, and apply for the CCW permit at your local law enforcement location.
You will see most of us on TOO forum has our CCW. I've had my CCW since it came out 9-10 yrs ago and use it anytime I feel a need to.

TomcatPC

Toledo
Yes, I am 44, and My Dad made it through the Depression just fine, but he was born in '23, so was a kid through most of it, so it's not like he was an adult then.
I didn't too much in the Service, so that's not a big deal really LOL! I'd guess a majority of us here are Veterans?...I did my Service in relative peacetime...no big deal, Desert Storm went on whilst I was TAD at Miramar and not even with my squadron at the time...
Don't know if I'll go hunting tomorrow? I'll look for the safety classes...
Mark

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yes, I am 44, and My Dad made it through the Depression just fine, but he was born in '23, so was a kid through most of it, so it's not like he was an adult then.
I didn't so much in the Service, so that's not a big deal really LOL!
Mark

Phil looks Mark got you on the depression age. His dad was born in 1923 and Mark born about 1971 so dad was about 48.
I missed the depression by a few years but it was brought home to me by my parents who did. I must say I learned good from it.