Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Redemption Doe

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Thanks for all the congrats and nice words fellas.

It was a good day Saturday. I really needed this to help with my confidence level. Not had the greatest couple seasons over the past few years. Last year was the first time in 12 seasons I hadn't put any meat in the freezer. So was wondering what was really going on. What kinda funk was I in.

Well whatever it was its over now. I went to a property that I have grown fond of over the years. I have purposely stayed out of this property because I know it can become a high traffic area once the seeking phase starts up and there are plenty of big boys every year.

Got settled in to the stand about 6:30 and was waiting for it to get light out. I was setting right where a fence row and a woods meet. On one side of the fencerow is a 30 acre crp field, on the other is cow pasture. The woods that it meets up to is super thick and is not hunted.

As it started getting light I actually found myself nodding off. Right when I'm supposed to be paying my sharpest attention I am battling being able to keep my eyes open. So I stand up and still struggle. I don't know why I was having such trouble. It was overcast and started to drizzle off and on. As I'm standing there something tells me to look over my shoulder. I do and see this doe and her yearling come up. She entered into the edge of the woods and turned toward me. I got my bow in hand and got ready to draw if she gave me an opportunity for a shot. Sure enough, she came right through and gave me a 10 yd chip shot. I let the arrow release and watched it disappear right into the boiler room. She ran off and dropped about 70 yds from impact.

I couldn't believe the amount of blood that was at the point of exit from the arrow. I could see it plain as day from the stand.

uploadfromtaptalk1445861909216.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1445861976671.jpg

The slick tricks definitely did the trick on this doe. It looked like a massacre where she ran up through the woods.

Once I got her home and started to clean her up, I got the inner lions out and rubbed them down and threw them on the Weber with some ABTs to cook while I was skinnin her out.

uploadfromtaptalk1445862378130.jpg

I am very grateful for this deer and what she will provide for my family, and also for the fact that the slump is over. Now it's time to focus on the bone. [emoji12]

uploadfromtaptalk1445862181718.jpg

This one's for cotty.
uploadfromtaptalk1445862268127.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats on a good doe Steve... Now get back out there after one of them bucks buddy....

Gotta say that last picture looks a little creepy buddy lmao.....