Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Climber mods

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
So, I usually don't use a climber hardly at all. But after last night's fiasco with it, I was hoping you guys had some idears. I have an older summit climber, I'm thinking it's the viper. That things clangs and bangs like no climber I have ever heard. What kinda tape or material do you guys recommend putting on the metal? I was thinking just camo duct tape would be enough to hush it while I'm walking to the stand. Also, the straps are uncomfortable as hell. Any kinda padding or anything to put on those? And if you guys have any other good climber mods feel free to share them! Taylor was telling me last night that he can look for a lone wolf for me, which would he killer. But until then, I need to get my ol heavy summit more huntable.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Foam fill the metal... Get some expanding foam with the nozzle (great stuff foam) and find a way to put a nozzle extension on it and shove it in the tube. Pull it out slowly...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Also you can buy a pad kit for them also the just zip tie on. I have seen water pipe insulation used but don't recommend it

Hurst1

If u are looking at a lone wolf go to fieldsupply.com and look at xop treestands. They are identical to a lone wolf for a lot less money. I just put the molle straps on mine and love it!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Xop, are those stands about the second weight too?? And milo that's a great idea on filling the holes with foam. I have a couple cans of that laying around so I'll give that a try.

Isaacorps

Columbus
I've heard of a lot of guys using the molle straps since the ones that come with it are god awful. I've thought about doing it to mine but I haven't gotten around to it

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I looked at those xop's. They're basically a lw with a different name and a few mods. Now I need to decide if I can justify buying one. I'm not sure if I use my climber enough to justify paying that kinda money for one.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I looked at those xop's. They're basically a lw with a different name and a few mods. Now I need to decide if I can justify buying one. I'm not sure if I use my climber enough to justify paying that kinda money for one.

I'm in the same boat, but I'm going to buy a LW in the next few months. The way I see it, eventually it will pay for itself and it should last forever.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I just looked at the XOP. Very interesting that Andre D'Acquisto has reinvented himself after his legal issues and leaving Lone Wolf. He's the guy who coined the "bump and dump" phrase/technique. He's no building the Chevy to GM's GMC. Kinda like when Strother left Elite and started making his own line.

The others really have you covered for ideas. The only thing different that I've used a few times on things is black athletic hockey type tape. Sticks real well and quiets pretty much anything down. Even used it on seat/stools where the fabric will make noise rubbing on the frame of the seat when you shift weight.

Pigsdaddy

Just to chime in, if you are thinking of getting a new stand, you should take a look at the cougar claw. I have hunted out of about all of them and ever since I climbed with one and sat in it for a while, it is all I will hunt from. I own 4 now.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I just looked at the XOP. Very interesting that Andre D'Acquisto has reinvented himself after his legal issues and leaving Lone Wolf. He's the guy who coined the "bump and dump" phrase/technique. He's no building the Chevy to GM's GMC. Kinda like when Strother left Elite and started making his own line.
Yup. I'd still go with the XOP stuff though.

Last edited:

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Just to chime in, if you are thinking of getting a new stand, you should take a look at the cougar claw. I have hunted out of about all of them and ever since I climbed with one and sat in it for a while, it is all I will hunt from. I own 4 now.
Thank ya, I'll give them a look TOO.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I was thinking about it, and while this thread is started, we should start a new thread on modifications of all kinds that you guys have done to your climbers and hang on/ladder stands. I think it would be pretty interesting seeing what some of you fellers come up with.

gavennn

Heres the mods i Did not my treestand. I am using a treewalker XL

#1 I camoflaged it with camo paint.
#2 I put a third hand archery bow holder on it.
#3 Third hand archery stabilizer straps
#4 holder for my quiver
#5 Spray foam the inside of the hollow bar