Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big Man Treestand

kawi.vn750

Looking at treestands. Specifically hang ons. Im a big guy, 300lbs, and and im curious if you guys have any recomendations. I use ladder stands now But would like to be more mobile.

kawi.vn750

No, i dont have to have one right now. Im just contemplating the idea. I havnt really seen any hang on or even climber type stands that look like they would be comfortable for a big guy.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I use a lone wolf sit and climb. I think it's rated for 350 lbs. I'm around 280 myself and have no issues. If you are considering getting one, get the one with the wide seat, much more comfortable.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The wide version of the LW Sit and Climb is a nice stand. Like Dante said, it's rated for 350 pounds. The Summit Goliath would also be a good option.

matt hougan

Dayton area
If we're talking about climbers for big guys you cannot beat the Summit 180 Max, it's simply the best.

If you can hold off for awhile Summit is introducing 33 new products this year. There may be something of interest for you. ...lol

kawi.vn750

I'm really leaning towards getting a hang on. I'd like to be able to set it up and leave it, but also be able to easily take down and move it. The thought of having to pack in and pack out a climber every hunt just does not sound very convenient to me.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I had a buddy who was about your size. He would buy the big hang ons and replace the cables with chains. Gave him an extra piece of mind.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I'm really leaning towards getting a hang on. I'd like to be able to set it up and leave it, but also be able to easily take down and move it. The thought of having to pack in and pack out a climber every hunt just does not sound very convenient to me.

I'm 6'1" and weigh 230lbs. I use a Summit Goliath. Plenty of room for me even in bulky cold weather clothes. Also, just because it's a climber you don't need to carry it in and out of the woods every time. You can just leave it at the bottom of the tree still attached. I now set up a lifleline when I first set up a climber. After the initial setup it only takes me about 10 minutes to get up the tree, pull up my gear and get settled.

matt hougan

Dayton area
Exactly,

Hang on's are not as mobile as people think. Not only do you have to remove the stand but you also have to move what ever it is you are using to climb whether it be screw in pegs or climbing sticks of some sort. If you think there is a chance you want to move your stand location I would go with a stout climber and simply leave it at the bottom of the tree as mentioned above. Mine is waiting for me when I return next week. I do take the seat with me, freakin mice will have a field day with the padding.

But, its a matter of personal preference. I'm a chicken. I like having that climbing rail around me. Hang on's scare the bageezus out of me.....lol

kawi.vn750

I don't want to be limited to just straight trees with a climber. I believe using a hang on would allow me to hunt nearly any tree ?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Hang-ons are very mobile, if you have the right setup. It takes a little longer to hang a mobile setup over a climber, but many guys on this forum use Hang-ons as a mobile setup.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hang-ons are very mobile, if you have the right setup. It takes a little longer to hang a mobile setup over a climber, but many guys on this forum use Hang-ons as a mobile setup.
I'm one. I'd rather roll like that in unknown territory than with a climber because I can hang in every tree a climber can climb, and all the ones it can't. A hang on with sticks is as mobile as it gets. Just takes practice and desire.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Jesse, eventually I'm going to get a setup like you have. I like a climber, but I need something that allows me to get into more cover in the tree.

Gordo

Athens County
Ive been packing in my climbing sticks and a hang on damn near every hunt this year . It has takin a couple YEARS to get this combfortable/confident/and efficient with that kind of mobile set up. Hang on's scared the shit outta me until i got to know them.

No more not being able to hunt a spot due to not having a pre existing set. Total freedom to hunt different locations on the fly.

Ive also been hunting in thicker sets and not as high off the ground since toating the recurve. Theres not a better option out there

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
I loved my summit viper forever. Need to go pick that baby up. It was fun to hunt out of. Thing scared the shit outta me for a while. Wobbly leg and all. Ha. Now i understand the meaning of a good safety harness.

Climbers are just fun