Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Strategy Sessions

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Let this serve as the place to think out loud and ask advice from the brotherhood...

Sunday morning will mark the first hunt at the farm and it looks like shooting light will roll around with wet leaves, low 50s temps, and a slight N to NW wind. I have three options to choose from and wondered what you guys would prefer.

The first is a stand on the edge of a flat on a hardwoods right between two ravines. There is good bedding to the east and the westerly side is mostly open timber, with a few thick spots scattered between the flat and the end of the ridge. Access is a 7 out of 10. This is where I saw Daryl Dawkins last year.

The second option is a stand at the crest of a hill over looking a shelf that's just above the big creek bottom where all my pictures are coming from. There are does down there every morning. I'd be 200 yards off the bottom, but could see it. The shelf connects two sanctuary bedding areas. Behind me is a nice flat that is mostly hickories. Access is a 9 out of 10 and it serves as a great observation stand, with a chip shot as your only option.

The third option is a stand another 100 yards behind the second one at the very crest of the ridge. (Other side of the hickory flat.) This is one of my better stands, but it's getting tight to the thick stuff. Access is iffy. It just depends on where deer want to lay down. It can be perfect, or you can jump deer. It's really a roll of the dice. In another 10 days, it'll be one of my preferred spots.

I'm leaning towards Option 2 right now. Curious as to what you guys think.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There's still some standing corn on Hippie Ridge. I plan to break at lunch and find a tree near it. I had one close last year, but pulled it. Wish I had left it now!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I vote for option 2. First time in the woods sounds like a good time to jump in an observation stand and try to pin something down. Good luck dude.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Jesse, what does your gut tell you? What was/is your first instinct, just forgetting about all the different scenarios and variables and all the shit that can send your mind racing, worrying about picking wrong....what was your first thought?

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
This weekend I'd hunt the stand with the best access. The forecast for later in the week is looking good . I'd save the better stands for better conditions. 2 would be my choice based on your description

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Take two of us with you and we'll hunt all 3 spots at once!

I'll give a different answer and say go to spot 1 where you saw Daryl Dawkins. Then shoot him.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm duck hunting all day tomorrow, Sunday is reserved for deer.

Dan, my gut says #2 will give me the best intel. I don't expect to kill a good buck, I just want to see how the does come and go from the bottom.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I will be the outlier and say #1, right now, especially if this is the first time hunting the farm. I would want as many shot opportunities as possible. Any stand with only one shooting lane that sounds to be no longer than 20-30 yards is a no go unless I am knowing they are crossing it on a constant basis or its the only stand to hunt. Then, #2 on another day if intell or lack of opportunity arrives.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm loving the looks of Friday morning. Cold and on the backside of a front. The problem I have now is the wind. I usually like a NW wind and if I didn't have the caliber of buck I have on the farm, I'd know right were I was going. My best stand is set for a NW, problem is it's not at the farm. On the farm, I have two sets for a NW wind, with one being better for a W-SW, but can be hunting on a NW. There is one other possibility, but I have to hang and hunt. It's on a finger overlooking a bowl that traditionally has some good bedding. There is usually a nice scrape up there too. A few years ago, a couple buddies had an encounter with a 150s 10 point that showed up for 2 weeks during the rut on this finger.

I'm thinking I might try and take advantage of the crap weather the next two days and sneak in there to hang my stand. Might depend on the wind shift that comes midday Friday.

What are you guys planning for the weekend?