Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kicking around UTV shopping

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Okay im giving serious consideration to UTV shopping.... looking for peoples experiences on what they have rode in or have. I'm going to be mainly using this for work i need done around the house and farm. Right now im sort of leaning towards a Kawasaki mule. I need it push snow, haul firewood, treestands and deer. The mules i have been looking at definitely needs on upgrade on ground clearance and tires. I dont care to shell out all that extra money if i dont have too. The last thing i want is a play cart for my kids. i want this to be more of a tool than a toy

twireman

Kingston, OH
We have a mule down at my parents. Really rugged terrain in Pike county. Dad put i think 25" mud tires on it and it will do anything we need it too. We love that thing.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have a 2013 Polaris Ranger 500EFI. It's done whatever I've wanted to do with it. Hauled big loads of firewood, topsoil, hauled my deer out of the field with me in the bed and 2 riders up front. I've never gotten it stuck either. Polaris quit making the 500 and now they have a 570 midsize and 570 full-size.

townzen

My uncle has been gators for years and loves them. He started with a gas model 2wd 10 years ago and sold it to buy his 4x4 gas model. He know has a little nicer 4x4 diesel model as well. Here recently he has been looking at some ODES Utvs along with the Intimidator. The Intimidator is sold at a dealer right up the road from where I work. Looks like a nice unit. I really like the fold flat beds.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dad had a mule and it was a toad. Great around the farm, but not much for the hills. It was an early version that was built more like a Club Car than a UTV. He sold that and bought a Kubota RTV 900. Serious work horse with a dump bed. Total slug when it comes to climbing hills. However it is a great tool around the farm. The hydraulic dump bed is the titties. It pulled my trailer loaded with ear corn like there was nothing to it. The only issue is with it climbing hills. It will power out. All torque, no RPMs.

I am also shopping and it's between the Polaris Ranger XPs and the new Honda Pioneer. Honda raised the bar on their UTV and really nailed it. It is gear driven, not belt and IMO, belts suck. Just my experience. The gearing makes it a very capable of road machine and after laying an egg the first time out with the UTV, Honda nailed this one. I like the Rangers because they are a time tested machine and offer what I'm looking for in an affordable package.

The Can-Ams are nice, but are more for sport than work IMO. My buddy had his out at the farm and it will haul balls, but won't actually haul shit. We squatted it with 400 pounds of lime, meanwhile I had 900 pounds of stuff in the Kubota and it was like it was never there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a 2013 Polaris Ranger 500EFI. It's done whatever I've wanted to do with it. Hauled big loads of firewood, topsoil, hauled my deer out of the field with me in the bed and 2 riders up front. I've never gotten it stuck either. Polaris quit making the 500 and now they have a 570 midsize and 570 full-size.

The new 570's have as much HP as the old 800s. They are nice, but I know Milo and his big ass ain't going to want one! LOL. I feel like a giant in it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
We have a mule down at my parents. Really rugged terrain in Pike county. Dad put i think 25" mud tires on it and it will do anything we need it too. We love that thing.

what engine does your dad have? they seem to have two models...one with a 400 and one with a 600

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The new 570's have as much HP as the old 800s. They are nice, but I know Milo and his big ass ain't going to want one! LOL. I feel like a giant in it.
Fuckers came out with the 570 full size the year after we bought our 500 mid size. The only option in 2013 for a full size was an 800, but we just didn't have the extra 3-4k to spend on it. My big ass is kind of cramped in the mid size but its not that bad. I'm thinking about selling my quad so I can get a plow and other accessories for it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
also i will note the i will NEVER FREAKING EVER FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE OWN A POLARIS...... just so we are clear:smiley_coolpeace:

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
also i will note the i will NEVER FREAKING EVER FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE OWN A POLARIS...... just so we are clear:smiley_coolpeace:

Same here. Polaris sucks, my 500sportsman is broke down 90% of the time. It SUCKS!! I have little expirence with the side by sides but the Polaris my buddy had sucked in the snow/icefishing department. We ended up parking the Polaris and driving his truck onto the ice.

I have had quads for better than 25 years and nothing beats a Honda. They are about bullet proof. Ask mully and Hb how that rancher 350 fared in the great ice escape of '09. lol

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
We've had a Yamaha Viking for a few years and it does everything we ask. Three seats across make it work no matter how fat your hunting or firewood buddy is.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Your needs and my needs are similar. I was between the Mule and Club Car when I found a used Club Car. Newer CC is nicer than my model. For what I paid I am happy. Load it heaping with firewood and it hauls it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Your needs and my needs are similar. I was between the Mule and Club Car when I found a used Club Car. Newer CC is nicer than my model. For what I paid I am happy. Load it heaping with firewood and it hauls it.

Phil what do you see as the major difference between the mule and club car? I'm thinking I'm going to have a somewhat difficult time finding one to test drive. What I don't like is I will need new tires immediately and a suspension lift. That sort of what I don't like about the mule

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Check weights of machines. Club Car is aluminum frame. Even my 2004 is boxed aluminum.

Newer club car seems to have more clearance than mine.

I would check load capacity in box. Mine is belt drive.

If one is gear and other is belt, it would be factored in. Mine slips a bit when wet. Also 11yr old and been abused.

In the $8-10 price range, they were both impressive.