Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It's FREE!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My buddy, Dean, is hosting a youth pheasant hunt this Saturday, October 24th. It is a Pheasants Forever function, and is totally FREE for the kids. There is food provided, guides, dogs, and plenty of pheasants to be shot. They plant two birds for every kid.

It would be handy for anyone interested in taking a youngster over to give them a call in the next day or so to schedule a time. They actually have plenty of spaces available, strangely. I have taken Mason over in years past, and it's always a good time where the kids are treated like royalty. They also get some cool free stuff, such as hunter orange vest...and no, not the plastic throw away version. :)

http://www.hollyhillspreserve.com/ Here is a link to their site if you'd like to look around. Their number is 937 981 2835 if you'd like to call and schedule a youth's hunt.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't know what the age limit is, but I think they need to be at least 10. If you know any others that would be interested, please spread the word. They do not have as many kids pre-registered for this event as they usually do so they would love to get more involved.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is true, we have very few around here. There are isolated spots that hold a population, however. We have two GSP, and neither have hunted wild birds... sad, really. I hope to change that this fall.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They do it two times a year, Chuck. The next one will be Nov.7, I think. If you have your youngsters in Ohio that weekend, make plans...

townzen

The second date is the 7th of November you are correct Brock. Kids must be 10 as well.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Hmmm... I might have to see if Caleb would rather do this instead go to a Halloween party. I know where I'd rather be.

Gordo

Athens County
Me and my sisters did something similar growing up on a yearly basis. I'll never forget when the pointers(dogs) would check up and it was time for us kids to flush them out. Pretty intense when the bird comes crackling up in your face and its the monent of truth.

Lots of beer battered pheasant meals.

Also great memories of spending time with this one old timer who batted clean up. Guy shot dead nuts. Just wouldnt miss if the kids faltered.

Talk about dusting some birds..... For whatever reason my instinctive shooting with a shot gun was on the mark as a youngster.

Gordo

Athens County
That is true, we have very few around here. There are isolated spots that hold a population, however. We have two GSP, and neither have hunted wild birds... sad, really. I hope to change that this fall.

I'll never forget being a youngster out on the annual thanksgiving rabbit hunt, and at least 1 or 2 wild pheasants being flushed up and takin home. Not left overs from releases either. That was 20 some years ago, and was rare back then. Them wild ones where survivors. It was a work out to get them to fly.

Damn. Feeling old

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great! AJ and Pete are staying out there so it is likely anyone that makes it down will meet up with them as well.