Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Old Bruser

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
It started with this picture on June 1st.

I knew this was gonna be a good buck. Then as the summer went on he blew into this.

I decided this was the buck I was gonna hunt. So I set tc's up on scrapes and travel corridors.

So after getting pics of him here I decided to throw a bag of corn down near my stand I had previously hung in this spot. I was going to hunt Saturday night but when I went by the property there was already deer in the field at 4 and I had to walk along it to get to my stand. I decided not to try it. Then I get these...

I texted alex and told him I just got sick...lol
So sunday morning I get this picture

I knew I better get in the stand early that afternoon.

I get in the stand at 3 and not even sat down and does are already in the field. End up seeing about 30 of them and a couple small bucks then at 7:05 I hear deer running towards me. I get ready cause it just sounded like a big one. Sure enough here he comes pushing a doe and has five other bucks following him. They stop and he lets out the longest snort wheez I've ever heard in my life. Then he chases the other bucks across a ditch and then comes back to the doe. She moves my way closer but while doing that it keeps making my angle of a shot on him harder cause of the slope. When he got to her I drew back and held for what seemed like a long time debating on whether to shoot or not. I decided to try it. Big mistake. I hit him high and back. Buried the arrow deep in him. I'm guessing close to 15 inches. So I waited to get down till my buddy came over to pick me up. We walked over and looked for blood and I called it off till morning.

We get there at daylight and he finds blood right away in a ditch but as soon as he got out of it we lost blood. Lot of maple trees so you know how them leaves are falling right now and a lot of them have spots of what looks to be blood on them but isn't. Looked till 8:45 and had to head to work. Started back at it around 4:30 and looked till dark. Nothing. So I decided to go back tonight and look for buzzards and there must be 50 of them flying around the area I shot him. Get back there and I see a bunch of turkeys take off running then a bunch of buzzards start flying. There he lays...

What a relief. I was absolutely sick over what happened and then to see him laying there was a huge relief off of my shoulders. I hated what I did taking that shot and I've learned a huge lesson over this ordeal. Wasted a lot of meat for someone but at least I have closure on this Old Bruiser...

Grossed at 183 3/8 plus a couple stickers an inch long making it 185 3/8

Last edited:

rsmith

Oh my GOSH!! That is a monster! One heck of a story as well! Glad you were able to find him! Awesome you found one that tickled your fancy JD! Haha. Great pictures and great read. Congrats again!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks for sharing your timeline on him this year! Congratulations on killing your number one target considering the other two you were hoping get by another year! It's crazy that your able to settle for a mid 180's though, LMAO, just can't fathom that!
Yes, my FIL has his house smack dab in the middle of a maple woods and it looks like there's specks of blood everywhere! Lol

Do you have any sheds from this deer and any idea how old he is? I can't remember if you mentioned it or not but he does look pretty old! Congrats again!!!