Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A year to remember!

MandRroofing

In the woods
This year was awesome to say the least.Left for a 3 week hunt in colordo try to get me first elk on the ground.It was my 4th time around and getting so close so many times!after shooting a bull last year and not being able to recover him, i had to get it done this year!WE say more elk this year than ever before and this was the earlet we had come and i think that had something to do with seeing more elk.My borther and i rod our 4 weelers 4 miles and then a nother 7 hour hike to an area i map scoted all year,and man was it awsome!we saw elk ever day and i had a nice bull run into myset up after a location bugle but he came in so fast and quite i did not have a chance to draw and before i knew it he was staring at me at 5 yards!after days with rain ever day we packed up our spike camps and headed back down. a few days later i ended up taking this cow elk at 38 yards and man was i happy! lol what great memories packing out my first elk with my buddys. IMG_20150914_133521.jpg

My Daughter has been after her first deer since last year,in hour house you have to be 8 to hunt.Like her old man she shot a doe and we could not recover the doe like i could not find my bull!she was bummed to say the least with a few tears.This year we made it happen On her 4th hunt of the season with her crossbow! she made a great kill shot @ 30 yards and I presented her with her first ever knife I made for her, for this special occasion.Good family memories!
IMG_20151007_200114.jpg
20151007_190039.jpg

Now its my turn to hunt!LOL Well it was my second set and i took Lonewolf and stick into a property i just love and say for the right condition and on the 17th was that type of condition.The cold snap!Walking in i ran into this fresh rub and it was a big one too!
20151017_163152.jpg
After having over deer deer with in 20 yards it was about a half hour before the end of shooting light i look behind me and see him coming.WE of course walks from the worst place possible,straight behind me but the wind was still good ,he rubber his antlers a lil on a sapling,then coming straight to my tree as he approached around the 10 Foot mark he instantly look up and blew and ran all with in like 2 seconds!All i could do was smile.He stopped out about 70 yards and stomped a lil then started his way back!but the circling down wind trying to wind me,Right before he got to my wind i knew i had to shoot so i settled my single pin hogg father and buried the helix,and did it bury!he ran so fast and out of sight.I listened and i get the sound of him crashing!This has been one heck of a season for me thous far and can't wait to put down a few coyotes...
IMG_20151017_224044.jpg
20151018_090937.jpg20151018_090301.jpg

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What a great season! Sounds very rewarding. That is one heavy 8pt. Upper 130s to lower 140s? Either way, darn nice 8pt!