Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pheasant Hunting

Wingman

Where do they do that? I've only lived here in Ohio for about a year now...used to hunt wild pheasant in North Dakota when I was younger and always loved it. One of the best birds to eat next to dove in my opinion. I heard that the wild Pheasant in Ohio are all but gone for the most part...maybe some left in the northern reaches. Have they determined what caused this? One person told me it was from a few bad winters...but I am not buying that at all since I lived in ND for years and it is much colder and harsh up there than here and the pheasant are just fine there. I am leaning towards blaming the farmers...since it is they who are responsible for most of the states decline in ecosystems for many species, as well as to blame for the absolutely terrible bio-diversity that Ohio now has. I've never seen so many hawks and buzzards in my life. I've lived in many states in this country...and Ohio has to be one of the worst managed states I've ever seen as far as bio-diversity and protecting ecosystems. You know that's true when an entire city can't drink their water because of irresponsible farmers.

Wmiller07

Where do they do that? I've only lived here in Ohio for about a year now...used to hunt wild pheasant in North Dakota when I was younger and always loved it. One of the best birds to eat next to dove in my opinion. I heard that the wild Pheasant in Ohio are all but gone for the most part...maybe some left in the northern reaches. Have they determined what caused this? One person told me it was from a few bad winters...but I am not buying that at all since I lived in ND for years and it is much colder and harsh up there than here and the pheasant are just fine there. I am leaning towards blaming the farmers...since it is they who are responsible for most of the states decline in ecosystems for many species, as well as to blame for the absolutely terrible bio-diversity that Ohio now has. I've never seen so many hawks and buzzards in my life. I've lived in many states in this country...and Ohio has to be one of the worst managed states I've ever seen as far as bio-diversity and protecting ecosystems. You know that's true when an entire city can't drink their water because of irresponsible farmers.[/QUOTEyou
They do releases all over the state. Just Google Ohio pheasant release dates 2015 and it will show you where and when they do them. The reason the population sucks is habitat and too many predators. The hawk population has exploded in the past 10 years or so. It was rare to see them when I was a kid. Now I see them everyday.

Wingman

Thanks for the info...That's interesting how the hawk population has exploded that much in just a few decades...I was going to say the same thing...Wmiller...but didn't want to piss anyone off who may love them. They're obviously cool and beautiful birds...but too much of anything is not good I suppose. Hmmm...I wish humans practiced conservation on themselves...that's another story though I guess. I am willing to bet that the hawk population explosion has something to do with the explosion of one of their food sources...probably mice...which I know many farms have epic issues with in this country, and well, we're in the grain belt. Chemical solutions and biology is definitely not the answer though, there is enough of that in Ohio already..hunting them might be the best bet. PETA or someone like them would freak out though I'm sure.

Wmiller07

One of biggest problems right now is that those in government are more worried about PR and saving their jobs than doing what is right.

Bigcountry40

Where do they do that? I've only lived here in Ohio for about a year now...used to hunt wild pheasant in North Dakota when I was younger and always loved it. One of the best birds to eat next to dove in my opinion. I heard that the wild Pheasant in Ohio are all but gone for the most part...maybe some left in the northern reaches. Have they determined what caused this? One person told me it was from a few bad winters...but I am not buying that at all since I lived in ND for years and it is much colder and harsh up there than here and the pheasant are just fine there. I am leaning towards blaming the farmers...since it is they who are responsible for most of the states decline in ecosystems for many species, as well as to blame for the absolutely terrible bio-diversity that Ohio now has. I've never seen so many hawks and buzzards in my life. I've lived in many states in this country...and Ohio has to be one of the worst managed states I've ever seen as far as bio-diversity and protecting ecosystems. You know that's true when an entire city can't drink their water because of irresponsible farmers.

It was the farmers fault, Northwest ohio used to be full of pheasants in the 70's but the farmers used pesticides that made their eggs weak and cut down every brush line they possibly could to get 7 more stalks of corn. If you notice youll see the great carhart army armered with chainsaws and 12 packs take to the fields and woods to destroy the remaining wood line we have left after all the crops have been taken off lol.