Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gettin ready...

runhunter

Well boys, my plan is to leave NJ Thursday night at midnight, get to the farm around 9, and hit the ground running/scouting. I'll spend the majority of the day hanging a few sets, scouting etc, hit Wal mart for supplies, check in the hotel and depending on what I find, possibly spend half the day on Saturday scouting as well. Temps are saying 70 ish on Saturday, and dropping to 58 on Sunday, and staying near 58 until Wednesday, with some possible showers, so it looks like the weather will be right. We will hunt 6 1/2 or 7 days, and leave the 31st. Normally, I go opening week, and you more or less have to find em where they're at, because they're not moving far in the heat. It may be redundant, but this time of year, I'm trying to not over think this. Just find some sign, get in a hollar, and sit down/shut my mouth for 6 days. It's always exciting to sit out there, because with every twig snap, or chhh chhh chhhhh you truly do not know what's coming. I don't get that at home, so it just adds another layer to the hunt. Just a great time to be out there, and hoping to find one on his feet.

runhunter

Yea, thanks fellas...we ran into a local guy last time out, and he gave us some advice. To this day, we still call him "squirrel", and his advice paid off twice, so let's hope we can make it happen again. I'm taking my old man and his buddy who is 74. I'd be just as happy if one of those 2 can connect. If there are spots that look to be hot, I'll be deferring and giving them the chance to draw straws. Least I can do right??

runhunter

Good luck and have fun! You picked a great week!

I agree!!! I was a little nervous at first, thought maybe I should have waited another week and gone first week in November. I'm seeing quite a bit of action here already, so once this mini heat spell breaks on Sunday, I'm hoping it really gets em going.

goshenmountainman

I agree!!! I was a little nervous at first, thought maybe I should have waited another week and gone first week in November. I'm seeing quite a bit of action here already, so once this mini heat spell breaks on Sunday, I'm hoping it really gets em going.

This will be my first fall in Ohio, I have spent the last 17 years in Illinois. I have been very successful in Illinois but I like the topography and the type of hunting in Ohio better than Illinois. I just got back from a early scouting trip and didn't see a lot of deer but did see a megabuck just out of bow range. I am very excited about my first Season in Ohio and hope everyone has a safe and successful hunt. This state has a great plan for their resources and hope they continue to manage it as good as they do. Happy hunting to all!!

goshenmountainman

Thanks , and good luck to you. I will be there from Oct.31- Nov. 13. If I can just see some good bucks I will consider that as a successful hunt. I just love being in the outdoors and have the chance to connect every once in a while.

runhunter

Amazing how the forecast changes over the course of a day. I went from highs in the mid 50s all next week to highs in the mid to high 60s. Can't say I'm overly excited about it but what can ya do?? I guarantee the day I leave, it'll drop 10-15 degrees and they get moving. One day, I'll get good weather when I go away. One dayyyyy

runhunter

The forecast cooled off just a tad. I can live with 64 degrees. It was the 69-73 that was scaring me a few days ago. We are in Scioto County. Driving up 52 now, just passed Ashland KY