Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ajupsman's 2015 Ohio Adventure

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I've never done a journal of a hunt like this but I figured why not. I've got to know some guys on this forum over the last couple of years and I enjoy reading the other journals too. Anyways, here goes.

As some of you know my buddy Pete and I will be hunting with Brock this year. I took him up on the limited hunting opportunity he posted here. This will be our 5th year traveling to Ohio to deer hunt but our first time on private land. The past 4 years have been on public land in Muskingum county. We've had mixed results. In year one I shot a button buck and that was it. Year two Pete got a doe and 10 point that was around 125 inches. Good deer for us and for public land. Years three and four we got skunked. We had a few encounters but never could seal the deal. Last year we had problems getting away from hunters. Seemed like no matter where we went we were running in to others. It wasn't their fault. Just the negative to hunting public land. We decided on the ride home last year we had to make a change. Now neither of us are big on paying huge money to hunt. We like DIY hunts so using an outfitter was out. Since we live so far away a lease was not an option either. Plus Ohio leases are pricey. I just can't see dropping that kind of coin to hunt a piece of land for 1 or 2 weeks. I know people do but it's not for us. I scoured the internet looking for options. I did come across a guy in Athens County running managed hunts. Basically we pay a fee to use the land for a week and he guarantees the land will not be hunted for at least 2 weeks prior to our arrival. It looked good to me. Before I committed I contacted Jesse because I knew he lived somewhat close to the piece of land. He checked it out and told me in his opinion it wasn't quite what we were looking for. I appreciate the help Jesse. It's tough to do something like this sight unseen. Fast forward to the end of the summer and we had basically resigned ourselves to hunting public again. We know it's not great but it is better than what we have here at home. Plus this is a fun trip we look forward to every year. One day Adam (RedCloud) texts me and says Brock has posted something on TOO I may be interested in. I read the post and not 2 minutes later Brock called. Adam had given him my number. We talked for almost an hour and I could tell right away he was a good guy. I called Pete, told him the details and we decided to go for it. We picked our dates and Brock got everything set up. We were pumped to say the least. Still are actually.

Well today is the eve of our trip. We leave tomorrow morning to make the 15 hour trek to Ross County. We'll be breaking the trip up over 2 days and we plan to arrive late afternoon or early evening on Tuesday. We will be there thru Wednesday the 28th. I'm really looking forward to this hunt and meeting Brock. Of course I will need to meet the famous Mason too. I really think this will be a blast and maybe I'll have a chance to meet a few other TOOzers as well.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Rooting for you two too score on your best too date..... Hanging with Brock should up your odds considerably..... Keep up on this....

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Rooting for you two too score on your best too date..... Hanging with Brock should up your odds considerably..... Keep up on this....

Thanks. I'm rooting for us TOO. :smiley_bril:
As long as I've got good cell service and/or Wifi I'll do my best to update this as much as possible. It will make a good record of my hunt to look back on also.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am confident you will not go home empty handed. Brock will at least throw in a pizza if you can't connect on a deer. lmao

Safe travels and best of luck in your hunting!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We are looking forward to your safe arrival! Mason and I had a late night of tracking and recovering with a buddy last night, hoping to have a couple more during your stay!

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Left home at 7am and drove all day. We are stopped east of Cleveland for the night. Red Roof Inn for $60. Can't beat that. Went to a sports bar for a few pops and a burger. We'll be stopping at Cabelas tomorrow in Columbus to grab a few things and then on to our destination. Should be there mid afternoon.