Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Never had this happen before, ever!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok so as many know I use the smoker, I believe in it.

Yesterday, on my way to stand (running behind as usual), I jumped a doe. She runs 50 yards, blows and walks off.
I figure my hunt is over but what the hell Ill sit in the stand anyhow and she didn't watch me get up into he tree so I was in the clear
About 30 minutes later I hear a deer blow 10 yards behind me.
Now Im really scratching my head as I can figure why she would blow and take off, stop, blow, stop, etc.
She then circles up wind of me 70 yards away, and blows again then trots off. Now I really think my hunts over.
Then I have a another deer come down wind of me, looked to be a good buck, comes right by me, and goes right into my lane (bit to dark for shot)
Then I have 2 or 3 more deer move above where the buck was, I am downwind of them and they are 70 yards away. They started to blow like a mother fer.

Any ideas on what could be going on? I am 25 foot up a tree, and figure it couldn't be all my scent as the wind was in my favor a few times. Coyote piss or something in area?

brancher147

Who Knows? Could have been anything, deer blow for any number of reasons, usually means they smell you. Maybe one smelled you and the rest followed it's lead. I don't think coyote piss would spook a deer, they probably encounter that smell quite frequently.

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I figured she smelled me as well.

but why would she have spooked and the other deer who came in not?

One came in dead down wind. Others came in from my right.

When she took off she went far left towards big hay field, you think she just kept circling the bottom to try to figure out what spooked her?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Big old bitch does will do their best to alert every deer in the county of an intruder's presence. My guess is she saw you and smelled the smoke on the way in, and made the association to you. Deer tend to circle back when bumped, and she probably came back to investigate, and smelled the smoke again. Smoke is a great cover scent, but it's still a scent. If they can associate danger with smells, they will remember that smell. Kill her dead next time!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Any chance the wind was swirling up that way??

Man I thought about that too but it was very calm.

Also as this deer was blowing I had other deer 20 yards away, calm as could be eating acorns. I never had THAT happen before.