Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big Holla & Family's 2015 Season Journal

Time to get this one started as we finally made our first trip down to Ohio in hopes of getting Allen on a big buck!! :smiley_clap:

We made the trip down on Friday morning and were set up to watch a bean field for the evening. Ended up seeing several deer including a few decent little bucks. Only one's that would come close enough were a doe and two yearlings. We were done for the evening and started packing up as they came within feet of us and they never knew we were there!!

IMG_16721.jpg

My failed attempt to get the 3 buck rubs all behind Allen as he sat there. Was funny watching him glance over at them off and on all evening, man I remember doing that as a kid!

IMG_16741.jpg

Of course he has a phone now, not for calling or texting much but for video games LOL! As much as I hate to see him play them they do keep him busy during the down times. Guess I can't say much as that night he told me I had to stop texting mom LOL! This was Saturday and we sat there both in the morning and evening. The morning we saw several deer including one big buck and another Allen would have loved to fling a bolt at. Just too far. The evening we saw a doe and a small forkhorn, still too far away anyways.

IMG_16751.jpg

Here was our highlight of the weekend, we still came home with some bone! The farmer had just cut the beans on Saturday and Allen and I took a ride to pull a blind and to seek out a couple other spots for us to hunt next time. As we were headed across the freshly cut beanfield there it was right in a mound of dirt.

IMG_16771.jpg

We made the 6 1/2 hour trip down on Friday evening so we could get up and hunt first thing Saturday morning. Allen and I had been checking the weather all week and he kept asking which spot we were going to hunt. Wind out of the South and we decided to sit in the pop up blind on the creek crossing again in the Big Holla it was! Well, another skunk-a-roo for that spot and two tired hunters made their way across the bean field to the house when we spotted another shed antler.

Oct24-Shed-1.jpg

Seems we walked right past it the week before! It had rained a couple times and all the bean matter had settled to make things easier to spot but dang, not sure how we missed that one. This is a buck I've been calling Whitey as the antlers appeared pretty white the last two years.

Oct24-Shed-2.jpg

Thought this was pretty cool watching him walk along looking at the antler now and then!! I can only imagine his thoughts of having old Whitey in his crosshairs.

Oct24-Shed-3.jpg

Saturday evening we had to fight with the rain but after putting up a couple of rain umbrellas we stuck it out til dark racking up another skunk-a-roo.....

Sunday morning the wind was out of the NNW and we set up in a deadfall we cleaned out the last trip down. Had a great vantage point looking down a ridge to an oak flat and another oak flat to our left. Had a small buck sneak up past us and then later a young doe (or BB) did the same. Seems there was a cut in the ridge that they were using and before we spotted them they were already past us. Kick myself in the ass for not taking any pics as the view was perfect and we had a bunch of fun with the squirrels running around. Actually had one chase another and it actually hit my back pack laying at my feet as it ran by!! Good laughs and good time for sure!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Good stuff! I thought that was an old shed pic that you posted on fb Lol pretty cool to just now find it, looks like it has good mass!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very nice find. Make a good one for rattling. I like a large antler and a medium sized antler to rattle with. Say a 120 and a 140 half. Not going to rattle in a big boy with a couple 1.5yr old halves. At least that is what I tell myself.

Could you tell if it was last year for sure?